Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
    Guru

Balcones - the End?

Looks like there's trouble a brewin' in Waco:

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/busines....html?mode=jqm
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

Re: Balcones - the End?

Thanks. I note that the TRO says Mr. Tate cannot speak to anyone in the spirits industry or the media about Balcones or his position as Balcones president and head distiller (all according to the news report - I haven't read the actual order). The report didn't say anything about a hearing on the order - whether it should be lifted or made a permanent injunction. Unless somebody leaks, I guess we'll have to await such a hearing or a settlement (probably with a nondisclosure agreement applying to both sides) to get more details about the dispute.

More important to me - I kind of like True Blue 100 - its burnt buttered popcorn flavor makes me warm inside like I'm a kid in a Saturday matinee. With burnt popcorn.

Enthusiast

I ain't fer sure, but it kind of reads like they are taking a Texan's gun jokes too seriously. I don't think anyone could seriously believe he intended to shoot his manager in the chest, or set the distillery on fire.

Doesn't seem like a very fun place for a master distiller to work. Even if they get past this, it seems like there will be long standing grudges.

I was planning on sitting out the early Balcones maelstrom and waiting for some more mature product. Perhaps I should reconsider.

I like my popcorn well-done...

Connoisseur

What a bizarre story. Something doesn't smell right. I would love to hear Chip's side of the story.

Guru

Probably not the smartest thing in the world to be joking about, just sayin'.

Still, crazy story and I hope it gets worked out.

Virtuoso

Sounds like the age-old divide between the creative minds and the bean counters has reared its ugly head. Too bad they can't get along. That place had promise and a niche beyond the legacy distillery model products.
    They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games-Casey Stengel

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Start filming the dust-up, sell the idea to A&E, and you have the next hit reality show!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dusty View Post
    Sounds like the age-old divide between the creative minds and the bean counters has reared its ugly head. Too bad they can't get along. That place had promise and a niche beyond the legacy distillery model products.
    I read that tension too, Dusty. I wonder if they might benefit from mediation in an atempt to realign their common goals - making award winning whiskey for a profit.

Connoisseur

Saw this all over Twitter last night. A damn shame. Such great people doing great things at Balcones I really hate to hear this. I hope they reach an amicable resolution soon and get back to experimenting and making great whiskey!
    Josh

"The last time I turned down a whiskey, I didn’t understand the question."

Connoisseur

Sad to hear this. It's impossible from the Waco Article to know who is the 'bad 'here, though.
    Since Chip is forbidden to open his mouth or type anything into a keyboard, all we're hearing is one side of the story. It could easily be a bunch of folks (the board) who decided to force him out and/or rip him off. They have the corporate authority and the court orders on their side to do just that. Maybe truth and justice will prevail; but don't count on it. MONEY almost always trumps truth. Too bad. We in the 'public' may never know for sure what's going on. Though leaks certainly happen in these situations.... one never is sure how accurate or how slanted the information being leaked may be.
    If Chip has been acting in bad faith, then he's reaping the whirlwind for that behavior.