Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: TN whiskey vs. Bourbon

I would have to agree with Jeff and say that the charcoal mellowing process introduces subtle flavoring elements. At least that's what my taste buds have been led to believe from JD ads and tour guides, etc. The power of suggestion may play into my impressions of JD but I'm pretty sure I've detected quite a bit of smokiness in certain bottles of JD before. I've automatically attributed that to the sugar maple charcoal without giving it much thought, but as we all know, barrel char level may account for some of that.

One thing I'm absolutely sure about: Kentucky Bourbon folks don't want JD calling itself "bourbon". And the folks at JD are more than happy to oblige them.

Disciple

activated charcoal

THATS the word I was lookinf for, thanks Jeff!

TomC

Disciple

They sell blended bourbon (sans the "straight" desegnation) around here, I think it is called Bourbon Deluxe. . . Also all the "Diluted Bourbon", like Old Dan Tucker, that we sell in Ohio supermarkets is non-straight-whiskey bourbon. Bleah on all of them.

TomC

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Pebbles & Bam Bam

The leeching process -- at least as far as George Dickel goes -- also introduces the chewable flavors of Fred, Wilma, Barney, Betty, Pebbles, and Bam Bam.

Mark and I detected, as have others, the presence of those unmistakable Bedrock flavors in Bob's bottle of No. 12 during our tasting this past weekend.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Re: Pebbles & Bam Bam

Cliff, Do they not also dissolve them in a acetone solution prior to introducing them to the leeching vat?

<font color="brown"> Good God Give Jim Croce Some </font>

Guru

Mark and I detected, as have others, the presence of those unmistakable Bedrock flavors in Bob's bottle of No. 12 during our tasting this past weekend.

Yeah, I have to admit in the nose I do detect that flinstone vitamin aroma. Not as much at all in the flavor to me, but it was definately there for me in the nose. weird...

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Mais certainment!

Enthusiast

I had a pour of Dickle after the NY crew's get together last weekend. It was the first I'd had of the TN whisky in awhile, and I was suprised at the numerous comments posted here regarding the vitamin component. Then Mark and Cliff tried it last weekend and they agreed that they observed it as well. So, I poured myself a generous amount one evening, and sniffed and sniffed, tasted and tasted, but I still did not smell, or taste any vitamins. Lucky me, because I think Dickle is a very decent pour.

Bob

Guru

Finally, a voice of reason.

Tim

Administrator in exile

I suspect a conspiracy!