Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    **DONOTDELETE**

Hancock\'s President\'s Reserve

Howdy Folks!

I know you've been wonderin' what bourbon to use on your steaks and such. Well ponder no more. *THE* bourbon to use is Hancock's President's Reserve. It's rather pricey at forty smackers a bottle, but it does come in its own liquor cabinet. Last Sunday I mixed equal portions of Hancock's with Lea & Perrins' Traditional Steak Sauce with spectacular results. *Believe it* This *is* the real deal. Smooth & delicious. It's everything you've ever wanted in a great great steak marinade. Cook over a real charcoal fire in a kettle grill of course.

My wife Vickie has just brewed up a batch of Burgoo. One wiff tells me that there is a goodly amount of Hancock's President's Reserve contained within. It smells very much like that wonderful stuff served with pride in the Old Talbert Tavern in Bardstown. When cooking with bourbon I highly recommend Hancock's President's Reserve - a single barrel pour from the fine folks at Buffalo Trace. Ask for it by name - Hancock's President's Reserve. You'll be glad you did.

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Enthusiast

Re: Hancock\'s President\'s Reserve

Linn,
    This is the first time I have seen someone recommend Hancock's as a marinade. I must give it a try. I know this might sound somewhat sacrilegious to all those Bourbonians out there, but, the new Sazerac Rye (18 year old) makes an unbelievable addition to chili.

Ken

**DONOTDELETE**

All bourbons are excellent in burgoo, and absolutely anything goes well with chili.
    But only Old Weller Antique Original 107 Brand has the stuff that it takes to bring out the best in a bologna & mayo sandwich!

=John=
    http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

**DONOTDELETE**

John,
    I'll take the Weller, hold the bologna and Mayo.
    Mike Veach

Connoisseur

Folks,

Don't waste your pricey single barrels on chili, there's always beer. Try instead some of my beans: Boston Baked Beans & Booker's. Easy on the beans! Linn, prepare to remove pants yet again (abruptly, this ain't no thinking thing) if you mess up on the delicate bean to bourbon ratio. Visualize Roto Rooter with a 126 proof flame-thrower. A real 'gas'tronomic adventure!

Want less bang for your pleasure? Soak some pork chops in Rare Breed. Or try prime rib and Woodford Reserve. Life is Good.

Hey, anybody tried seafood and bourbon? Snapper, salmon, grouper?

Omar

Eat Well. Laugh Often. Sip Bourbon.

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Good Food to Cook with Bourbon

SHRIMPS!!!!

A pile of big ol' Gulf of Mexico shrimps. Big ones. Nothing smaller that 16-20 count. Small shrimp are good, but they just don't have the texture or flavor of big shrimp. Soak 'em in bourbon (anything you like to drink -- no junk).
    A Skillet. Big. A Chinese Wok is even better.
    Very small amount of Olive Oil (yes it will smoke; don't let it get that hot).
    A little Butter (see above about browning)
    Sprinkle a little Coarse Ground Garlic Powder (or chop your own. Don't use the fine, powdery stuff)
    When water sizzles, drop in the shrimp. Stir immediately to get every critter coated with the oil/butter.
    Sprinkle with Just ONE of the following, depending on what part of the country you want your guests to think you're from...
    Prudhomme's Cajun Seasoning
    Old Bay Seasoning
    McCormack Mesquite Seasoning
    Salt'n'Pepper
    Teriyaki
    Don't look away. As soon as they turn pink, they're done. About 30 seconds.
    Serve with gusto. Home-made gusto is best, but store-bought will do. Don't use fancy, imported gusto with this dish, though.

=John=

Connoisseur

Re: Good Food to Cook with Bourbon

Shrimp?

Thanks John, I didn't think shrimp could stand up to whiskey. I'll give it a try. Maybe it will work with big scallops too.

How 'bout fish, fresh or saltwater -- catfish, mullet, snapper, mahi-mahi, wahoo, tuna, mackeral, grouper, bonito, shark, kingfish, any fish. I suspect the stronger tasting fish (like wahoo or kingfish) would hold up better to high alcohol than delicate fish (snapper, mahi). Any fishing pros?

Omar
    Eat Well. Laugh Often. Sip Bourbon.

The Boss

C'mon John, I've still got a hangover from Saturday night's Xmas party, and your bourbon/food pairings are making me ill.

Cheers,

Jim Butler
    Straightbourbon.com

**DONOTDELETE**

Hey, if you don't like grilled bourbon shrimp that's fine with me. I'll be happy to eat your portion :-))

=John=

The Boss

No, No, I'll take the shrimp, it's the Weller and bologna that got me.

Cheers,

Jim Butler
    Straightbourbon.com