Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Kentucky Bourbon Truffles...

I've been looking at this recipe for quite awhile now...One of these days I'm gonna try it out...It's low in carbs

I'm posting it here in hope that somebody might give it a whirl ...Does not look like I'm going to get around to trying it out...at least not for awhile ...

Kentucky Bourbon Truffles

Bettye Jo

Connoisseur

Re: Kentucky Bourbon Truffles...

I'll give it a whirl when I can get my hands on some good dark chocolate again. I made some of white truffles a while back and they were really tasty.

1 1/4 lb white chocolate
    3/4 cup heavy cream
    1/4 cup Old Whiskey River Bourbon Cream Liqueur
    1/4 cup unsalted butter
    crushed pecans
    10x sugar

Chop up the chocolate in small chunks. Mix cream and Old Whiskey River Cream in a saucepan until boiling. Remove from oven and stir in the chocolate pieces until melted. Add the butter and stir until smooth. Chill for several hours. Once chilled, spoon out and shape into balls about 1 inch diameter. Roll in nuts and dust with 10x sugar.

The Boss

Here you go Tonya:

Scharffenberger

These guys come to the SF WhiskeyExpo every year and hand out samples. Julian's 20 YO with their dark chocolate is unbelievable!

Guru

Same stuff Stacy and Kristin use when they bake together... Very good chocolate!

Connoisseur

Mmmmmm...bourbon and chocolate. Bourbon and chocolate with bourbon on the side.

I've only bought Scharffenberger once and was disappointed. It had been sitting on the shelf too long at the store. Maybe I can try it again at the Festival and get the real flavor this time. I usually use Callebaut I get in chunks at my favorite NY grocer Fairway Market . The darker the better. Love to cook with bittersweet.

The Boss

As pedestrian as it may seem, Dark Milky Way candy bars are excellent with bourbon. Try it sometime.

Scharffenberger is the only brand of chocolate I cook with anymore, and I frequently buy packs of the 5 gram dark squares to pair with bourbon; particularly wheaters.

Administrator in exile

Leslie and I use Scharffenberger almost exclusively when cooking, or to just break off a piece and eat it They sell it at Liquor Barn and Williams Sonoma around here. I like the bittersweet the best.

Advanced Taster

An aside -- Jim Murray suggests, at the very end of the Whiskey Bible, to nibble dark (and by dark, he means 99% cocoa) chocolate to cleanse the palate before drinking.

I've taken his suggestion to heart, and am impressed by how much more depth and details I can taste in the drink. I eat a small piece with water and wait for the chocolate taste to leave the mouth.

I've always liked dark chocolate. Eating the pure stuff certainly took some getting used to, but now I don't mind it much. It's worthwhile. I usually keep a block of Girardelli Unsweetened in the cupboard for this purpose.