Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Administrator in exile

Wanted: Homemade Bourbon BBQ Sauce Recipe

I tinkered around all last summer and fall trying to put together the best Bourbon BBQ sauce. I never turned out exactly what I was looking for, so I figued I would throw in the towel and just steal one of your's So please post your favorite recipe. Maybe we could even have a sauce tasting and competition at the Festival this year

Administrator in exile

Re: Wanted: Homemade Bourbon BBQ Sauce Recipe

So no one is willing to part with the goods huh? I guess I will have to settle for bottled sauces . What are some of your favorites? I know that I like the Wild Turkey Gormet Sauce, Yum!

Taster

Well, I don't know about any homemade sauces but "discussing the merits" (also known as arguing) over different BBQ sauces in these parts is something of a never ending saga, a birthright. We take our Que very seriously here in Kansas City, and it something like how young Buddhists are expected to become a monk for a couple of years in the orient, here in KC we expect everyone to make a go at openeing a BBQ joint at least once in ones lifetime.

That said, in my humble opinon the best BBQ sauce of all time its Gates. It is the house sauce of a highly respected BBQ joint here in town, and so popular that is sold regionally in some stores. It is also available online at:

http:/www.gatesbbq.com

I'd recommend the regular "Classic." I used to have my folks mail me bottles of this stuff when I was stationed in the Philippines... lots of converts out there now too.

Guru

I was just watching Food TV and there was an episode of Emeril Live on that was titled "Down home with Bourbon" and one his recipes was Bourbon BBQ Sauce... That prompted me to remember your post here Jeff. Anyway, here is the recipe he gave:

2 (14-ounce) bottles tomato ketchup
    3/4 cup bourbon
    1 tablespoon molasses
    1 tablespoon Creole or whole grain mustard
    1 tablespoon chopped garlic
    1/2 cup chopped onions
    1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
    1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne
    1 tablespoon peeled and grated fresh ginger

Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth, about 15 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Pulse 2 or 3 times. Store in a sterilized container until ready to use.

They displayed some very popular bourbons to us such as Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey KY Spirit and Rare Breed, and the Small Batch Bourbon Collection from Jim Beam. Booker and Fred Noe were there as guests, but I thought it was odd how in several recipes right in front of them while open bottles of Bakers and Bookers were sitting there he kept using Makers Mark! Anyway, if anyone catches the episode it was OK. He made other things as well like Kentucky Burgoo but it looked more like soup to me, nothing like the wonderful burgoo I was treated to at the Talbot Tavern! Here's other times it will air again:

April 27, 2003 11:00 PM EST
    May 03, 2003 3:00 PM EST
    May 11, 2003 3:00 PM EST

And here's the other recipies from the episode:

Kentucky Burgoo
    Bourbon BBQ Sauce
    Classic New Orleans Bread Pudding with a Bourbon Sauce
    Spiced Cream
    Kentucky Bourbon Sauce
    Grilled Shrimp with Sweet Potato Fritters

Administrator in exile

Thanks Mark.
    I have seen this episode some time ago, but I didn't remember this recipe. I will try it this weekend!

Guru

Everything looks about right, to me. I think that would be some fine barbeque sauce.

Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Master Chef...Mark

This is from "Our" Cooking with Bourbon...Evan Williams cookbook...

I have given this cookbook away, "Free" to to folks who visit the booth during the bourbon festival...It must be really good...I have folks to ask for one, (sometimes two), just from the recommendations of "others" who have tried the recipes...

Some of the recipes are award-winners from our cooking contest held every year at the Kentucky State Fair ...

Bettye Jo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15676-ewbook.JPG 
Views:	287 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	341  

Guru

I'm going to have to try that recipe for the bourbon-baked beans at my next bbq, that sounds delicious! I had never thought of putting some chili sauce and coffee(!) in there...

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Hey man, this is Kentucky...and we'll throw in everthing but the Kitchen sink

Ohhhhhhhhhhh Yeahhhhhhh...day old coffee in baked beans...Try it dude and let me know if ya like it?

Bettye Jo

Novice

I add Bourbon to store bought sauces. It's cheating but it really carries the sauce into the meat. I use just enough to thin the sauce and brush on up to 30 min before and during the cooking. To me it's best with the "sweeter sauces" like Bullseye, they have mollassas in them and are usually thicker to start. I also tend to add red pepper flakes. I do have a home made sauce and as soon as I get it from my head to paper I'll post it.