Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: bourbon balls

Guru

Re: Variations?

This weekend I found a pamphlet from Wild Turkey with a bourbon ball recipe in it. It is acutally VERY similiar to the one that Brenda mentioned in the previous post. I made them today and so far everyone seems to love them. Let's just hope they go over as well this Thursday evening! Only difference was I used 2 cups of fine vanilla crumbs, 2 tablespoons white corn syrup, and a 1/3 cup bourbon. Doubt any of the differences mattered but just testifying to their goodness.

Disciple

Bourbon Balls & Buckeyes. . .

Well today Jessica & I made our first "experimental" batches of Bourbon Balls & Buckeyes (peanut butter, chocolate dipped candies made to resemble the nut of the Ohio State Tree, the Buckeye) of the year! Jessica likes doing one batch early so we can se if anything needs tweaked. The buckeyes were excellent, and the bourbon balls (made with Old Ezra 7/101, yummy!!) were great with maybe only one tweak necessary, MORE BOURBON!!! ( BLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!! ). I just wanted to thank everyone who helped me get started on bourbon balls, because I never would have what I was missing. . .

Tom (Grasciously Grateful) C

PS the pic is of Actual Buckeye Seeds. . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11220-Buckeye Seeds.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	191  

Guru

Here is the recipe:

http://www.wildturkeybourbon.com/flock/food5.htm

I think I will make some, myself.
    Tim

Guru

I tried last night the drunken pork and sour cream bourbon sauce recipe from Tim's link in the previous post and it was to die for. I've made pork tenderloins before marinated in bourbon and other seasonings/sauces but I think the recipe for that sour cream bourbon sauce really makes the differnece on this one. In case you're feeling adventerous here's that link Drunken pork and Sour Cream Bourbon Sauce

Guru

I made the Wild Turkey bourbon balls (I actually used WT 101) from the recipe in the above post, tonight. They are quite good. My wife even likes them.

I had trouble with the recipe, though. After mixing everything together, my mixture was about like dry sand. I added corn syrup three times before I got something I could form into balls.

But I am happy with the end result. They taste almost exactly the way I remember Bourbon balls from too many years ago.

Tim

**DONOTDELETE**

Zoobahzing Tim! You rock!

Connoisseur

Hey ya'll,
    I've been experimenting this year with cherries. Since the topic around here has been Bourbon Balls, what about Bourbon Cherries? I bought some maraschino cherries and soaked them in Bourbon. While they weren't bad plain, once I dipped them in chocolate, they sure weren't as good as they had sounded in the beginning.... .
    Next, I tried fresh cherries. (This involves a cherry pitter, you can find those at most kitchen speciality shops) Leave the stem on the cherry and turn it to the side in the pitter, as you push the plunger, the pit will pop out the side of the cherry, leaving a hole thru the cherry and a little flap (you can close the flap or eat it... depending on your Christmas spirit... ).
    Now, soak the cherry in Bourbon for as long as you think. Hold by the stem and dip in melted chocolate (you can use pariffin if you like). Place on a wax paper covered tray and chill. These should really be kept in the fridge and they are far more perishable than Bourbon Balls. Everyone around here liked them so I thought I would pass it along.
    Merry Christmas Everybody!!!
    Beej

Advanced Taster

I just tryed out the drunk'n pork and bourbon sause tonight , changed it a little by using counrty ribs and not the tender loin as called for .....All in all very good , wife and kids , and MIL all gave thumbs up , so it looks like it's on the list of cookables , also will try it out on the other white meat ....chicken ......
    Happy Holidays to all .....
    Bill g.

Enthusiast

I made a variation of that Wild Turkey recipe this year, it worked out WELL. I replaced the vanilla wafers with ginger snaps, and since they've got more flavor than the wafers, I left out the cocoa, increased the amount of bourbon.

Pretty danged tasty if I do say so myself.

Guru

Sounds good to me, BJ. I guess you're talking about the big, store-bought cherries.

Tim