Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

View Poll Results: Got a Flask?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 75.00%
  • No

5 13.89%
  • My lawyer told me to plead the 5th

4 11.11%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Got a Flask?

Hybrid View

Advanced Taster

Got a Flask?

I have this cool JD hip-shaped flask that I sometimes take to sporting events and other occasions. Fits great in the inside pocket of my jacket, and it's a kind of metal that doesn't set off metal detectors. It's a great way to take a little something special to drink, when I know the place I'm going won't have what I want.

Do you guys have a flask? If so, tell us a little bit about what it looks like, where you got it, how much it cost, how long you've had it, and what you use it for.

Disciple

Re: Got a Flask?

I dont have one right now, but it was on the Christmas list! I suugested the one in this post to my wife, so I may just get it.

TomC

Advanced Taster

I dont have one right now, but it was on the Christmas list! I suugested the one in this post to my wife, so I may just get it.

TomC
    That looks like a pretty sweet setup. I hope you're on Santa's A-list.

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

I'm with Tommy.
    I use an empty WT 375. Its perfect. I won't mind having it confiscated, I can see how much is in it, it doesn't tarnish the flavor of the bourbon and the price was right.
    As a follow up.
    Where do you hide your flask?
    I carry mine like an ankle holster in my sock.

Advanced Taster

Great question. I'm looking forward to hearing other people's answers.

Like I said above, I carry my own flask in the inside pocket of my jacket. If I'm wearing my heavy leather jacket, it's unnoticeable.

Advanced Taster

I know longer use it, but for about a year I used a Beam half pint bottle...same reasons...cheap, easy to see contents, non-metallic taste. The half-pint is small enough to fit easily anywhere but with 8oz has enough to share. I have been looking for a quality flask for a while...I saw the round ones that come from Britain the other day and they looked nice...hmmm ?

Guru

...the round ones that come from Britain...
    Are you referring to the round, 3 oz. flask with the Jameson imprint?

I bought one a while back on eBay. I've found the size to be just right for my needs. However, the round shape makes it slightly awkward to hold, the screw cap can be dropped, and the cap takes at least nine, full-bore twists to remove. If your wrist isn't supple, it may take twice that many.

I miss the convenience and security of my larger, rectangular flask with a captive cap and one-third the amount of screw thread.

I continue to look for the perfect, small flask for my needs. Prompted by your post, I may have found it here .

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Advanced Taster

this one was roughly the size of a mans palm and held about 8oz...dont know the brand name but will let you know when i find out....

Guru

Implied Endorsement Is Hereby Withdrawn

I ordered both the 2.5 and the 3.5 oz. flasks from the website whose link appeared in my earlier post.

Tonight I filled the 3.5 oz. one, only to find that it leaked around the cap after I had filled it and tightened the cap until I felt resistance. Upon inspection, it turned out that the geometry of the cap retainer was wrong, causing resistance before a good seal was made.

I turned the cap another half turn. It still leaked. I tightened it a bit more, whereupon the retainer popped loose from the body of the flask. Another quarter turn finally produced a good seal.

Needless to say, I am very disappointed. Perhaps I expected too much for under $10. Nevertheless, I will communicate my disappointment to the seller and see what happens.

I guess I'd better check out the other one, too, before I make my inquiry.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Guru

Not so fast, Dave!

Yesterday I emailed the proprietor, Nordale Services , and described my problem. Today, Sunday, I received an email to tell me that they will send out a replacement first thing Monday morning.

If the replacement (3.5 oz. version) arrives as promised and works as well as the 2.5 oz. version has, then these flasks are well worth the low cost.

Both of these tiny flasks are rather like a liquor-carrying equivalent of a Derringer. Given a choice between capability and concealability, sometimes one must opt for the latter. However, performance must be unerring, regardless of capacity or caliber.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield