Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

View Poll Results: Got a Flask?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 75.00%
  • No

5 13.89%
  • My lawyer told me to plead the 5th

4 11.11%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Got a Flask?

Guru

Re: Got a Flask?

...the round ones that come from Britain...
    Are you referring to the round, 3 oz. flask with the Jameson imprint?

I bought one a while back on eBay. I've found the size to be just right for my needs. However, the round shape makes it slightly awkward to hold, the screw cap can be dropped, and the cap takes at least nine, full-bore twists to remove. If your wrist isn't supple, it may take twice that many.

I miss the convenience and security of my larger, rectangular flask with a captive cap and one-third the amount of screw thread.

I continue to look for the perfect, small flask for my needs. Prompted by your post, I may have found it here .

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Advanced Taster

this one was roughly the size of a mans palm and held about 8oz...dont know the brand name but will let you know when i find out....

Apprentice

I, also, am on the lookout for a good flask. A flask would prove useful in my short "trips" on my bike. (The contents to be enjoyed at night,with a good cigar, after the days ride is through of course). One of my concerns, however, is exactly how a flask fits into the various "open container" laws? A small bourbon bottle would be ok I guess, but I'm thinking a small bottle with a broken seal would be even more of a no-no.

Guru

I am certain that the discovery of a flask of whiskey (even a completely full one, where it was obvious that nothing had been drunk from it) would be a serious problem in states with "open container" laws.

Tim

Advanced Taster

I was thinking about this the other day.

It's my understanding that open containers can be transported in the trunk or saddlebag (where they are not accessible for consumption while operating a motor vehicle).

If I am taking an open bottle of something to a party, I will usually lay it down on its side in the bottom of a paper grocery bag under other items like soda and potato chips, in the back seat. Unless you give an officer permission or probable cause to search your vehicle, an open container concealed in the bottom of a paper bag is not visible.

But yes, I think Tim is right. If you get pulled over and it is discovered that you have an open container, you will be in legal peril. I always hope that it would be an officer with common sense, who sees that I am not drinking it but rather transporting it to another location. But you never know. I have encountered some pretty unreasonable cops (and judges) in my time.

Of course, I would advise you not to drink on the road. Beyond that, exercise caution when transporting open containers, and let common sense be your guide.

Guru

I recently requested and received a travel kit from the State of Kentucky.

Under the heading "Traffic Laws" was a clear statement that alchohol in an opened container cannot be legally transported anywhere in a motor vehicle.

I expressed surprise in a post to this board and was told that most states have a similar law. I had always thought that it was OK to carry an open bottle locked in the trunk. From the replies I received here, I gather that the practice is widely illegal. I still haven't checked California's law in this matter.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Advanced Taster

Oh gosh. Now that's just plain silly. Sounds like one of those rarely enforced laws.

Guru

One of my favorites back in my college days (late 70s) was a pint flask/bottle of WT80. I still have the bottle and use it from time to time as a flask. The interior is glass and the exterior has the WT logo, which could get me arrested for false advertisement these days. The neck is larger and allows for a cleaner fill. That bottle was carried in my blazer pocket to many a football game and is currently stored on a shelf with all my other college days momentos. I also own a couple of stainless flasks that were gifts but I seldom use them as most of my consumption is done in the comforts of my home.

Guru

Implied Endorsement Is Hereby Withdrawn

I ordered both the 2.5 and the 3.5 oz. flasks from the website whose link appeared in my earlier post.

Tonight I filled the 3.5 oz. one, only to find that it leaked around the cap after I had filled it and tightened the cap until I felt resistance. Upon inspection, it turned out that the geometry of the cap retainer was wrong, causing resistance before a good seal was made.

I turned the cap another half turn. It still leaked. I tightened it a bit more, whereupon the retainer popped loose from the body of the flask. Another quarter turn finally produced a good seal.

Needless to say, I am very disappointed. Perhaps I expected too much for under $10. Nevertheless, I will communicate my disappointment to the seller and see what happens.

I guess I'd better check out the other one, too, before I make my inquiry.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

My flask is glass in a leather case. It was made in Spain and was a gift from my brother, who obtained it while living in Madrid. It has an inner cap and a tall outer cap that doubles as a shot glass. It holds about 250 ml.