Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator in exile

New Riedel bourbon glass?

I am trying to figure out if Riedel has released a new version of the Bourbon glass. It was my understanding that the "Small Batch" bourbon glass was only available from the JB website, it was from the "overture" line of non-crystal glasses and was etched with the small batch logo on the base. Well the other night I found a Riedel dealer selling bourbon glasses made of cristal and without the small batch logo. Riedel was etched, or rather stamped, into the base. At the same retailer I picked up a new Riedel brochure that listed the bourbon glass as now a part of the "Vinum" lead-crystal, machine made glass series. The glasses sold for $10 each, a little more expensive than the small batch version. So I picked one up to give it a try and I must say I am impressed not only with the look, but the functionality as well. I'll report back on that after some further research

Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone else has seen this new line of Riedel bourbon glasses? If you have both, are the new ones worth the extra bucks? Thanks for your help!

Enthusiast

Re: New Riedel bourbon glass?

Jeff, I have both. The newer version is quite nice... although because it is machine made, it is very similar in thickness to the glass version. The crystal version is slightly better quality. If you have neither, the crystal version is worth the added $$ in my opinion. (A good friend bought a set of four and we split the box). If you already have the glass version, you're not missing out on alot.

Administrator in exile

Thanks Dave, Actually it is worth a little more to me for it not to have the small batch logo etched into the glass. Kinda takes the classiness out of it and makes it sort of a novelty, at least to me.

Enthusiast

$10 for a good glass that improves your experience is well worth the money (even at twice that amount). Anyhow, I know what you mean about the small batch logo on the bottom. Kinda sacreligious to think of a BT product in that glass. I only allow Beam products in that glass now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Connoisseur

Hey Dave, do me a favor and explain that photo to me--that's a BT coaster in a Beam glass, right?

Or is there some new & improved cork watchglass!?

Enthusiast

That's a Beam glass "all bunged up" by BT

Taster

... Well the other night I found a Riedel dealer ...
    And just how does one go about doing this? Are they not widely avaiable at department stores, and such?

Administrator in exile

Are they not widely avaiable at department stores, and such?
    Not really around here. You can find a few of the more popular styles of Sommelier and Vinum glasses at places like William's Sonoma and Liquor Barn. When I say "Dealer" I mean the entire line was on display for sale, including the Overture, Wine and Basic series'. In fact about the only Riedel glass that I didn't see was the "Small-Batch" bourbon glass.

Advanced Taster

Has anyone had a problem with breakage? I bought the "Small Batch" Riedel glasses less than a year ago, and they're all KIA. Strangely enough, they all bit the dust while my wife was taking her turn at doing the dishes.... Maybe she didn't approve of the Gollum-like way I talked to them.

Guru

I don't own one but I have seen them and was surprised at how thin they were and was almost too scared to pick it up. I don't wonder that they are so fragile. seems that they would make a heavier version for those of us who are not as nimble fingered or graceful.