Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guru

Re: How Many Different Bourbons Lately?

I don't have many open, right now. Let's see: Blanton's, Kentucky Spirit, Old Forester Birthday, Old Grand Dad 114, OGD 86, and Rare Breed. I think that's all.

Unopened in the "bunker", I have several bottles of OFBB, one Kentucky Spirit, one Rare Breed, one WT101, and one OGD 86. If I actually dug in, I might find one or two other goodies.

Not near as much as most of y'all, but a lot more than my wife would like to see.

Tim

Enthusiast

I keep six to ten bottles on hand. I change it up as I buy when I'm out of state. I try to make sure I have EC 12YO, Ancient Age, WT and OF the others go slower and cost more. Stag, OFBB, EWSB, ERSB, OGD 114, BT. I started to collect once and decided it would be a shame if I got hit by a truck and my wifes new friend would drink all my bourbon. All my replacement is going to get is a bunch of open bottles and I hope most of them are damn near empty.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

All my replacement is going to get is a bunch of open bottles and I hope most of them are damn near empty
    What about the 'Vette? Do you have a collection of Craftsman tools?

Lets hope you both make it to a ripe old age, Rick!

<font color="red"> Good God Give Peter Frampton Some </font>

Advanced Taster

In no particular order since Jan '03:
    Stagg
    Weller Centennial
    VanWinkle Rye 13
    Elmer T. Lee
    Blanton's
    Old Forester 86
    Old Forester 100
    Ancient Ancient Age 10 Year
    Ancient Ancient Age 10 Star
    Buffalo Trace
    McAfee's Benchmark
    Sazarac Rye 18
    WT 80
    WT 101
    Rare Breed
    Maker's Mark
    Jim Beam Black
    Evan Williams 7
    Evan Williams SB 90
    Elijah Craig
    Booker's
    Basil Hayden's
    Baker's
    Knob Creek
    Jim Beam Rye
    Kentucky Tavern
    Jack Daniels 7
    Gentleman Jack
    George Dickel 12
    Bulleit
    Woodford Reserve
    Old Fitzgerald 1849
    Old Grand Dad
    Some of these have been pints or even half pints...I frequently buy small the first time if the reviews here on SB have been mixed. Only one I would never buy again...the Ky Tavern, and it was a "gift"...several others were "thin", and while not frequent purchases I would gladly take in a pinch....but of all of these, I could buy only the Buffalo Trace whiskeys and be a happy man. (well, add Woodford and Old Forester)....the ones I have not tried and can't wait to taste are any Birthday Bourbon, ER17, Weller 12, VOB, 1792,Kentucky Spirit and any additional VanWinkle...a mighty strong list in itself.(apparently I have missed my chance for Weller 18)

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

A trip to Ky might yield a Weller Antique Collection. No idea where to look , High rent side of some town. It's nice, others here like it more than I do. When I had the chance I only bunkered 1 bottle , so I have 1-1/2, if I never get any more of that. I wouldn't leave Stagg or Birthday Bourbon in the store for it. For what it's worth $0.02.

<font color="brown"> Good God Give Ray Price Some </font>

Guru

I just can't imagine bunkering bottles myself. I'm like a kid coming home from the toy store in that once the door shuts in the house, I just have to open it up. Currently I have on my bar's shelves:
    Pappy Van Winkle 20 yr
    Hirsch 16 yr
    Bookers
    Woodford Reserve
    Jefferson Reserve
    Rock Hill Farms
    Blantons
    Wathens
    Elmer T Lee
    Knob Creek
    WT101
    ORVW 10/90
    Buffalo Trace
    Old Whiskey River
    Peter Jakes
    WT RB

Each has a place and time, and only a couple are less than half full. As far as I'm concerned, when they put me in the ground, I'm leaving all my stock to three friends. Two of them get to split the bourbon, the third gets everything else (mainly because he ran over my dog).

Advanced Taster

How could I forget that Hirsch 16 was one I have had!! and Wathen's is one I want to definately try. Ezra 15 also interests me as well.

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Your arthmetic is dead on.....I probably average two drinks a day....some of the consumption was with my bourbon lovin friends. One other note....when I have two pours in an evening, I usually have two different bourbons. I'm not sure why, but I seem to enjoy comparing the two bourbons to each other. Last night it was EB15yo followed by the 2003 ER17yo (which is my current, if expensive, favorite).

Regarding bunkering, I have set back some EWSB 93 for comaring to the 94 when released, same for the 2002 ER17yo. I have a Black Maple Hills 14yo I haven't opened...guess I'm waiting for the Texans to get to the Super Bowl LOL. Anyway....it seems most of us like to drink a variety of bourbons and we don't focus on a couple of favorites.

DoubleBlank

Administrator in exile

and yet it seems like I hardly ever empty a bottle
    Dave, there was a while when I was thinking the exact same thing, almost like my bottles were bottomless. But then the time came when I looked out across my collection only to discover I had about 15 bottles with only 1 or 2 drinks left in them. That was a bad day for my wallet

Enthusiast

Is "Prichards" a Tennessee whisky, a blend (based on Tennessee whisky?), or a bourbon?