Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: NOW What Bourbon Are You Drinking??

Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve. (the 13 yr) This is one of the Heritage Collection and is excellent. I have had the Weller's Centennial which I love, and I know I.W.Harper, which is now export-only, is in the Collection, but what are the other 2? or is it 3? I wish Old Charters of any age were more readily available...

Guru

Here are the others in the Heritage Collection. (There are 5 in total) They are:

- IW Harper 15 YO
    - WL Weller Centennial 10YO
    - Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve 13 YO
    - George Dickel Special Barrel Reserve 10 YO
    - Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12 YO

Attached Images Attached Images

Advanced Taster

Tonight it is the Rock ,,, Rock Hill Farms Single Barrel Three fingers deep and straight up .....Life is gooooodd
    Bill g.

Salute !

Enthusiast

Buckky,

Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve is a favorite of mine. I did some tasting notes on it awhile back. If you can get ahold of the 12 YO Classic, that is excellent as well!

Bob

Connoisseur

Speaking of the Heritage Collection, I somehow managed to find a single bottle of IW Harper in a liquor store in Atlanta, Georgia last week. I'm not sure how it got there (it was hidden behind a number of bottles of Weller) but I snapped it up...I haven't tasted it yet, since I'm saving it until I get back to San Francisco. It's been a good trip, bourbon-wise, since I also found a couple of bottles of Weller 19yo, Stagg, and Birthday Bourbon, as well as 4 dusty bottles of Van Winkle Old Time Rye (12 yo) in a liquor store near Lexington, KY. I'm sipping on some of the rye right now, and I'll probably use it to toast in the New Year as well.

Advanced Taster

Happy New Year! I decided to open a bottle of Hirsch 16 to celebrate and, after removing the foil (a new one: no wax) I started removing the cork. It started to split and it was a race to get the cork out before it split into pieces. Luckily, I got the cork out and poured a generous drink of Hirsch 16, then found a perfect replecement cork in my box of corks from old bottles.

Well, the Hirsch 16 is wonderful! I had great expectations for it and it met them all. It is rather mild, in some ways, but this is rather like Sazerac 18: it has the essential essence of what it is down pat, with no wasted motion. This is just fabulous!

Happy New Years and Best of Success in the coming years~ Cheers, Ed

Enthusiast

To celebrate Hogmanay tonite a generous pour of Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit.

Let's take a cup of kindness for auld lang syne.

I'm drinking Weller 12yo tonight, and it's as good as ever. Re Hirsch 16yo:

After not having seen it on a shelf for months, I found and snatched up five bottles (all older wax-topped) between Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve in three different stores. The story is that the area distributor ran across a case buried in the warehouse, and the distribution manager phoned a handful of larger stores to see if they wanted a couple of bottles. If I'm not mistaken, Hirsch is shipped in 6-bottle cases. If so, I only missed one of them. Happy New Year!

Novice

Having spent a number of years drinking Maker's Mark, I decided it was time to truly enjoy myself and I have been wandering through a list of tastings. I now only cook with Maker's.

My new standard is WT Rare Breed and tonight I am enjoying Kentucky Spirit to celebrate a new job for the new year. With age and a refined palate, the years keep getting better and better.

Guru

RB & KS - excellent choices!

Tim