Hi all, I'm a bourbon-loving college student who just happens to be researching a fairly common topic around here--bourbon! I've been exploring its history/roots, creation process, modern distilleries, et cetera (all kinds of good stuff), and have learned quite a bit. (Someone once said the best way to learn about something you aren't familiar with is to write a book on it. While I'm only writing a paper, I think it still holds true!) This board has been a nice resource in my learning process.

When I first started researching bourbon I thought that there might be some sort of distinguishing bourbon characterstic for different regions/counties in Kentucky. However, I haven't really found anything to support this idea. The fact that most of the distilleries are within close proximity of one another definitely doesn't help. I'm also thinking that the tight regulations that distillers have to follow cuts back on the possibility of having bourbons of large varieties (I'm not trying to step on toes here; I'm talking about varieties like you would find comparing scotch to bourbon). Instead, it appears that the different varieties in bourbon that do exist stem more from tradition and brands/marketing than geography. I think that the differences I was initially looking for don't exist because I should be looking at Kentucky as a region in the world of whiskey, rather than different bourbons in the world of.. well.. bourbons.

Do any of you have any information to support or refute my initial idea of regional distinctions?