Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Re: Regional Differences within Kentucky

I will see Craig this week...and ask him why he does that...There has got to be a beneficial reason or he would not do it...

I have been to the distillery (Bernheim) many times to visit him...On more than one occasion a big old Bufflo Trace rig has been there too...Hmmmmmmm...I asked Craig, why was BT truck in the parking lot?...He said they were getting some of the "old bourbon" that was stored there...Old Schenley stuff..

Bettye Jo

Advanced Taster

that is very interesting about the BT rigs ...very interesting indeed...thanks...your insights are always invaluable and your stories of "the line" are informative and humorous...thanks

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

your stories of "the line" are informative and humorous...thanks
    Hmmmmmm...ya think they are humorous?....I could tell ya some stuff that "we do" (me and the fella's) that would make ya laugh until ya sides were gonna bust ...But I won't...something about likin to keep my job comes ta mind

Bettye Jo

BTW--We love to practical joke...Didn't want you to think that it was anything bad...just some good hearted fun...

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Is anything in the brick warehouses at Bernhiem?

Administrator in exile

About the only regional difference of significance is that city-based distilleries tend to have masonry
    I remember while on the Wild Turkey tour, our guide mentioned to us that they (WT) can see a difference in the aging and type of whiskey that comes out of the different rickhouses. She specifically noted a difference between aging bourbon down closer to the river versus higher up on the hill. I forget what those differences are.

Anyway, so my contention is: If it makes a difference which side of a hill the bourbon is on within the same distillery, how can it not make some difference depending on what part of the state you're in. The best example I can think of is with Woodford Reserve. Till recently the only difference in the bourbon production between it and Old Forester was the location at which it did most of its aging. Both utilize masonry buildings, IIRC (although I could be wrong here). While there are "family resemblences", the tastes are notably different.

Taster

This is a very interesting thread, but if I see people starting to use the word "brick" in their tasting notes, I'm going to call

"A lovely robust bourbon, and judging by the finish, I'd say it was aged in a brick warehouse by the river that catches a little more than average morning sun."

Guru

"A lovely robust bourbon, and judging by the finish, I'd say it was aged in a brick warehouse by the river that catches a little more than average morning sun."
    Dang! Ya got my mouth watering with that description. Where can I buy that bourbon? (And before Tom asks, is it available in Ohio? )

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield (The Original "DaveM")

The taste of any given bourbon (i.e., a final, bottled product) has more to do with the profile selected for that brand by the distiller than anything else. Likewise, there's probably greater variation within a given rackhouse (high v. low, inner v. outer, etc.) than there is between rackhouses. Also, there isn't much climate variation within the core bourbon-making area of Kentucky. That said, a rackhouse at a lower elevation, near a water source, will probably have higher humidity than one at a higher elevation. Humidity, air circulation and direct sunlight probably are the crucial environmental factors, and they can can vary even at a given site.

Connoisseur

Humidity, air circulation and direct sunlight probably are the crucial environmental factors, and they can can vary even at a given site.
    I always assumed the big factor was temperature variation. Doesn't the whiskey supposedly ebb and flow in and out of the charred layer along with the hot and cold seasons/temperatures?

Yes, sorry, that's a given. The others are the main additional factors or (as in the case of direct sunlight) factors that bear on the temperature factor.