Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Guru

Bulk Shipments of Bourbon

Chuck's post in another thread about EB15 caused me to wonder about the specifics of moving large quantities of bulk bourbon, say from Bardstown to St. Louis.

First there are the simple mechanics. What kind of containers are used? What type of common carrier? (Rail or truck?) Is it possible that if I were to visit my ancestral homeland in southern Illinois, I might see on I-64 a bourbon tanker that I might mistake for a milk tanker?

Second, are such shipments documented in public records, such that a dedicated bourbon detective might be able to determine, for example, whether EB15 really does come from Heaven Hill? (Or at least whether bulk bourbon moves from one facility to the other, regardless of its intended bottling?)

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield (The Original DaveM)

Enthusiast

Re: Bulk Shipments of Bourbon

Second, are such shipments documented in public records, such that a dedicated bourbon detective might be able to determine, for example, whether EB15 really does come from Heaven Hill? (Or at least whether bulk bourbon moves from one facility to the other, regardless of its intended bottling?)

Or find out when they are moving so you can set up your detour signs?