Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guru

Re: Very best bourbons under $20

I found a pretty good bargain (I think) last week and picked up a coupld of bottles of ORVW 10yr 90pr for 15 bucks apiece. Other stores in the area has the same for 25. But then, almost all the prices you guys give are a lot less than stores around here sell it for. Danged old state of Missouri (pronounced in this case MISERY)

Dane

Guru

I just did a search and found a fairly old thread that discusses this exact topic as well... Seems like prices on some of the 'cheaper' pours have not changed much over the past few years while on the more 'boutique bourbons' we have seen a bit more of a price jump.

Guru

Before I read what everyone else answered, I will list mine:

Wild Turkey 101
    Elijah Craig 12-year old
    Old Forester 100-proof

Note that prices are higher here than in most areas, so some things I have to pay more than $20 for might be under it where you live. But all of those are actually under $20, here.

Tim

Guru

Oh, that is ironic. In Alabama, December is the only month when they don't run any sales at the ABC stores, because they know they will sell more than usual, anyway. (I just stock up in November.)

Tim

I've no quarrel with anybody's list so far, but:
    I know it's not available everywhere -- and, that I'm showing my simple tastes here -- but Rebel Yell is closer to $10 than $20, and I think it's a fine drink. Add Weller Special Reserve and Antique 107 as items usually at or under the $20 price point.
    And (I know, not a bourbon!), but I'd also include Wild Turkey rye to my "best under $20" list.

but Rebel Yell is closer to $10 than $20, and I think it's a fine drink.
    Tell me more about Rebel Yell. I have seen it in local liquor stores but have never tried it. What is another bourbon similar in taste and body?

Regards, jimbo

Originally a Stitzel-Weller product, my understanding is that Rebel Yell -- which once was marketed in only a handful of Southeastern states -- was an 80-proof version of 'wheatie' W.L. Weller's Special Reserve (90 proof). Weller, of course, is now owned and bottled by Buffalo Trace/Sazerac, and the Rebel Yell label belongs to David Sherman Corp., St. Louis. I've been told -- and, I believe from my own tastebuds -- that it retains its original wheat grain bill. It is very similar to the 7yo Special Reserve, with caramel and molasses undertones, and a great bourbon for its low price.