Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Threaded View

Guru

That\'s The Breaks

I just now had a most unsettling experience as I opened a bottle of Rock Hill Farms. (See photo.)

It was packaged in a box that should have given it some protection from whatever befell it. When I took it out of the box, I could see that the top of the bottle looked strange, but I didn't really pay attention. I was mainly struck by the neck hanger, which was absent from the only other bottle of RHF I've ever seen. Then, when I tore the plastic seal, and glass fragments cascaded everywhere, I suddenly started paying attention.

Without disturbing the stopper, I did everything I could to dislodge any glass fragments that might be hanging around. Then I carefully removed the stopper, which was nerve-wracking, to say the least. It took quite a bit of torque to turn it at first, and then it took a considerable twist and tug to remove it. I immediately saw that the break extended down into the interior of the neck.

A gentle probing with a non-essential finger (Hey, I'm talking music here -- no snickering!) revealed no sharp edges inside the neck. I decided the contents were safe and poured myself a drink, allowing the liquid to flow over only the small remaining section of undamaged lip.

If I'd bought this bottle recently, I probably would have decided to take it back where I think I bought it and ask for a refund. (This was the only bottle on the shelf when I was there a few months ago.)

All and all, this experience introduced a note of apprehension into what I expected to be a totally pleasant, relaxing experience.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield (The Original DaveM)
    Attached Images Attached Images