Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

OId Forester 100 proof--is it BIB?

I decided to buy my first bottled-in-bond bourbon. I thought the shelf tag on this Old Forester said "bonded." I just opened it and can't seem to find a "bonded" reference on the bottle. Did I pick up the wrong one?

Guru

Re: OId Forester 100 proof--is it BIB?

I have heard people on these forums refer to OF BIB many times. But, OF 100-proof is one of my favorite bourbons (to the tune of several bottles a year and an occasional 1.75L) and I have never seen any reference to "bonded" or "bottled in bond" on any of my bottles.

Maybe the product is different in different states, but I doubt it.

Tim

We finished the tasting off with a sample of currently made Old Forester, a bourbon which meets all the criteria for bonded whiskey (although it no longer is stored in bonded warehouses and doesn’t use the term on the label any longer). Always one of our personal favorites, today’s Old Forester is every bit as fine a bourbon as any of the classics we tried, and considerably better than some.
    I came across this quote on a web site this morning.

Regards, jimbo

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Be assured Old Forester Bonded does exist, I bought a bottle in Miami Beach recently for about $17.00.

The name "Bonded" was printed prominently on the label.

It was good but not special value for the money. It was 4 years old and showed that in a somewhat raw, monochrome palate. Recently I had (different samples) of Woodford Reserve. I doubt tasting them blind I could tell the difference. The reason I bought the Forester Bonded was because of reports here last year that it was superlative. After, a number of posters felt it had fallen off in quality. My bottle looked very recent and likely was this newer production. I think it would have been better two or three years older. If anyone lives in south Florida near the Beach, I bought this at a small package store between Collins and Washington, on 13th street or one up or down from there. It was on the north side of the street, easy to spot as one walks up Collins or Washington on the near side.

Gary

Connoisseur

Here's a picture I snagged off the web:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guru

Okay, then. I believe you. But, I am certain that I have never seen it like that.

Tim

Guru

And now, I have to believe it. That is not what they sell in Alabama. Here, it is just 100-proof Old Forester.

Tim

Guru

And I agree with it!

Thanks,
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

According to Chris Morris at Brown-Forman, Old Forester is still entitled, legally, to call itself a bond but they dropped the term because they didn't think it was meaningful to most consumers.

He also said they have considered bringing it back, so maybe that's what people have seen. On the other hand, bottles can stay on the shelf for years, so the "bonded" bottles may simply be old stock.

It's also possible that some distributor requested a "bonded" product and the manufacturer complied.

Here in Chicago, what I see on the shelves is OF 100-proof, not "bonded."

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I was disappointed in the Old Forester Bonded I bought in Miami Beach. There was nothing wrong with it, clearly it was well made, just too young.

In terms of classic bonded bourbons, perhaps the Old Grandad BOB still has a rich character.

Would anyone be minded to give taste notes of this bourbon if in their bunker?

Gary