Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Guru

My Current Favorites (Watch for Changes Daily)

Recently Jimbo asked me to list my favorites. I did so in a PM, but I think he missed my response.

FWIW, here is the substance of that response:

1. VWSR 12 y/o Lot "B" -- Not like other VW bourbons, spicier and more fruity somehow. (I mistakenly referred to this one as 'ORVW Lot "B" ' recently.)

2. VWFR Rye 13 y/o -- Has never been out of my top five since I first tasted it. Spent several months as my all-time favorite whiskey.

3. ORVW 10/107 (aka "Old Commonwealth") -- Not as impressive today as at first taste when I posted my first formal tasting notes, but still worth grabbing on the way out the door if the house is on fire.

4. WT Russell's Reserve -- "And now for something completely different..." I've had ups and downs with this one. Right now it's up -- way up. Possibly the best buy of the WT line.

5. WT 12 year-old -- It easily dethroned Kentucky Spirit in a head-to-head last Superbowl Sunday. I seldom drink it because it's all but unavailable now, and I have only one and a fraction bottles. It ruined KS for me.

6. Rock Hill Farms -- Let's see if this one holds up, now that I'm pouring it from a recycled WT 101 bottle, rather than its original, swanky, decanter-like bottle, whose lip disintegrated as I opened this bottle.

7. Wathen's -- This probably should be higher on the list, but which ones can I stand to move lower? Maybe RHF.

8. Old Ezra 15 y/o -- The best of the super-aged rye recipe bourbons. Not acrid like EC18. Some people say just the opposite.

9. Hirsch 16 y/o -- This used to be ranked higher until the VW Lot "B" blew it away in a head-to-head after Christmas dinner.

10. ORVW 18 y/o (Park Ave bottling) and 20 y/o (Sam's bottling) -- How could these two be ranked so low? Maybe because they cost an arm and a leg, so I seldom drink them, which means I don't really remember what they taste like. I do remember that they're damn good.

Conspicuously absent from my top ten are Hirsch 20 y/o, Blanton's, Stagg, EC18, Jefferson's Reserve, all of the JB small batch (especially the way-overrated Booker's), EWSB, and the OFBB (of which I have last year's and the first release of this year). Of all of the preceding bottlings, the Hirsch 20 y/o, last year's OFBB and Baker's are the only ones with a chance of breaking into my personal top 10 of the moment.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Apprentice

Re: My Current Favorites (Watch for Changes Daily)

Just a quick note...what I love about this site is that after reading your post I went and cracked open my bottle of "Lot B" to compare it to your review. I will have to revisit it several times before I can rank it properly, but that is mighty good bourbon. My top 5 previously included Hirsch 16, VWFR Rye 13, GT Stagg(either release), OFBB 2003, and the ORVW 18 from Park Ave,(one that I have tried recently). Either Stagg or the Birthday Bourbon gets bounced from my top 5 by the "Lot B", not sure which. Then again, ORVW 15/107 is also a favorite so maybe that also replaces one of my top 5. Tough choices.

David

Quite a list Dave. I have only been tasting bourbon since August of last year, so my experience is meager compared to yours. But five of your top ten are on my "repeat list", VWSR 12 yr lot B, VWFR Rye 13 yr, ORVW 10/107 (Well actually ORVW 15/107 and 10/90 on my list.), WT Russell's Reserve and Old Ezra 15 yr (I assume you mean Ezra B. SB 15 yr.). And I have Hirsch 16 yr on my shopping list and a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 20 yr unopened in my cabinet.

The only notable bourbon on my "repeat list" that you don't mention is, Elijah Craig 12 yr and 18 yr, Knob Creek 9 yr and Jim Beam Black.

Regards, jimbo

Guru

Jimbo,

You are correct regarding my mistaken reference. It's "Ezra B...".

I don't know why I didn't think to mention EC12, at least as a contender. Sometimes I think that if they were to double the price, I would take it more seriously. (Bettye Jo, please don't spill the beans to your marketing department. ) Not only is it a pleasure to drink neat or on the rocks from a proper glass, it holds up well in a flask, where the nose is much less prominent. (Some bourbons seem to die in a flask.) The EC18 did not make my repeat list. The scorched wood flavors were too dominant for my taste.

As I mentioned, I'm not hot on any of the JB Small Batch collection. However, besides the Baker's, I do go back and forth on Knob Creek, and at least it's reasonably priced. I finished one bottle of JB Black; it failed to leave much of an impression. It's certainly OK as an any-port-in-a-storm bourbon. (That phrase reminds me of a thread that Chuck started, where we rated bourbons as "drinkable anytime", "drinkable in a pinch" or "undrinkable". I think I'll do a search and revisit that one.)

Regarding your quest for Hirsch 16 y/o, I suppose you know that it's available from Sam's and Binny's, if out-of-state shipment is an option for you. Before the recent blow-out sale on it, I saw it a couple of places for $70-80. You shouldn't have to pay more than $50-55 at the moment. I assume that price will rise when supplies start to dwindle.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

I have several of your Top-10 list unopened and untried (I'm still relatively new to this), so they may well move onto my not-yet-formed 'list' soon enough. But right now, I'm having a fine time just opening the closet door and trying to make a decision from among Weller 12, Ezra B 15yo, Eagle Rare Single Barrel, Evan Williams Single Barrel (1989), ORVW 10/90, Hirsch 16yo and Stagg '03 (diluted about 3:2), all currently open and a-pouring. I like them all. I'm also fond of the VW 13yo rye, though my remaining bottle is intact.

Advanced Taster

While I realize I am just a novice (only because I have only a few postings) I bought a bottle of EC 12 yo for $18.00 in KY, across from Cincinnati, OH. My decison was based on many of the fine forum postings about this bourbon. I thought "How bad could a 12 year old bourbon taste?" Well... it is one of my worst tasting bourbons. Only Bulleit (spelling?) Bourbon was worse. Sorry to disagree with all of you.

Guru

Sorry to disagree with all of you.
    You're not disagreeing with us all. I have said many a time that I do not personally care much for EC12yo. I do like it on ice somewhat, but straight I do not care for it. That being said, what one person really loves another could hate. Everyone not liking that same thing all the time is what makes this fun, imagine if we ALL loved the same thing time after time...

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Why don't you like it, what puts you off about it exactly?

Gary

Administrator in exile

That being said, what one person really loves another could hate.

Mark is right on. I happen to really enjoy both EC12 as well as Bulleit bourbon both straight up and on the rocks. Alternately, I can't stand George Dickle #12 (vitamins) and it is a favorite of many on this board. Don't worry about disagree'ing with anyone about a particular brand, just as long as your not drinking scotch, you're OK with us!

Connoisseur

I bought a bottle of EC 12 yo... it is one of my worst tasting bourbons.
    No need to apologize--I've said it many times, EC12 is a love-it-or-hate-it bourbon. One thing though, before you completely give up on it, try it on a different night. I happen to love the stuff, but I find it hits different notes on different nights.