Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guru

Re: My Current Favorites (Watch for Changes Daily)

Dittos on what the rest of the gang has already said (except that I do like EC12).

I must add that even though I have been attracted to EC12 from my first taste a year or two ago, my perception of it has changed over that time. At first I agreed with others who found it to have a medicinal taste (Vicks Formula 44 was one descriptor). Later I think I said it tasted as though one stave in each barrel was made of eucalyptus wood rather than oak. Now I pretty much take it at face (tongue?) value as the intensely flavored bourbon that it is.

One recent discovery is that my enjoyment of it holds up better than any other bourbon when I drink directly from a flask. Some very fine bourbons seem pale and lifeless absent a presentation that allows nosing while sipping. If it weren't for that big lip on the bottle, I'd suggest you take a swig right from the bottle sometime.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield (The Original "DaveM")

Guru

Having been asked the same question a couple of times lately, I have only this in response: When someone asks who which one of your children is your favorite, don't you usually say ALL OF THEM?

Guru

Dane,

Or, in somewhat the same vein, "If you can't be with the one [bourbon] you love, love the one you're with."

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Advanced Taster

I tend to agree with the medicinal and eucalyptus taste description. It is slightly woody, which I do not prefer, but, I know many people do. I go for a smooth dram, easy to swallow and a great feel during the aftertaste (finish). It may be worth the $18.00, but for my money, I go a little more... from $26 to $36, such as Makers (wheat), Woodford Reserve or, my favoite family of bourbons, anything premium from Wild Turkey. Some day I would like to start a thread about blind bourbon tastings and my theory about individual bourbon tastes.

Advanced Taster

I did, and still didn't like it.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

By the way, it will become one of my well bourbons. It wasn't so bad that I dumped it. I did do that with two of my bourbons because I couldn't see myself serving them to my friends. (to you, too!)

Advanced Taster

My current top ten...also subject to change at any time.

George T. Stagg
    Eagle Rare 17
    Sazarac 18
    Buffalo Trace
    Weller Centennial
    Weller 12
    Ancient Ancient Age 10yr
    Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve
    Van Winkle 12 lot B
    Rock Hill Farm

Aside from Stagg as number one, the rest are too hard to put in a firm order. The "drinkers" here are Buffalo Trace, Weller 12 and AAA10yr.

Guru

Looks like you lean heavily to Buffalo trace products: Stagg, Eagle Rare, Sazerac, BT, AAA, and Rock Hill Farms. Maybe even the Van Winkle, but probably not yet.

Tim

Advanced Taster

yes...I didn't notice that till I saw the list in print. For ten years I was mostly a "Beam" man...my tastes have definately changed, evolved...no doubt will continue to change.

Connoisseur

Like many others have said, tastes change. And I don't make a habit of keeping official "lists", but I had fun putting this together:

1. Pappy 20--My true champion. If you taste it you'll know what smoothness, class, and refinement are in a bourbon. I wish I had access to the 23, because if there's ANY chance it's even better, that'd be the best $180 I'd ever spend.

2. OFBB '02--This is another one that is just beyond words. It has a take-no-prisoners attitude but with a softness and subtlety for balance. The complexity and depth keeps you coming back for more.

3. Hirsch 16yo--Our last chance at this piece of distilling history. It's the only very long-aged rye recipe bourbon in my favorites list. This is the bottle I have bunkered for ~30 years from now when I retire.

4. Blanton's--I love this one so much that it just BAFFLES me how some people can dismiss it as being too subtle. It's an explosion of awesome bourbon flavor with the best finish of any bourbon I've ever had.

5. VWFR Rye 13yo--The best Manhattan you'll ever make is with this delight. I hope the scuttlebutt is wrong about this one being in limited supply!

6. Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10yo--Actually a recent find of mine. Many dismiss it as being too light or sweet, but I get a whole cascade with this one, and it's a bargain! Incredibly drinkable, it's a good one to introduce to the bourbon-curious!

7. Elijah Craig 12yo--The 'my kid beat up your honor student' bourbon of the list. Many wouldn't consider this a premium, but I can't make a favorites list and not have it. It's another one you never fully master because it will morph itself indefinitely.

8. Buffalo Trace--Yes, the plain, ordinary bottling. The absolute staple of my bar. If I drank frequently enough to have an 'everyday pour', this would be the one. Definitely a premium masquerading as midshelf.

9. Booker's--I like my previous description of this one best: raw, unadulterated, barrel-proof bourbon that Booker Noe selects. The man knows his business.

10. Ancient Ancient Age 10yo--I've been exploring this one lately, largely since I found out Kentucky and Virginia are its only sales states. Believe it or not, among the bourbon drinkers I know this one goes largely unnoticed, and it's a true gem.

Missing from the list = any Wild Turkey bottlings. I guess I'm weird that way...WT products all seem to have a dry, earthy, unpleasant finish to them that ruins the whole experience. Even the otherwise spectacular Kentucky Spirit has it. Also missing = Stagg. It's unavailable to me, and even though my sampling of it has been exceptional, it's like hosting a 'foster child'...you don't dare get too attached because you know the relationship can only be temporary.

Enthusiast

It's refreshing to see to see Bookers on a top ten list here. It's my impression that the JB small batch doesn't have much of a following on the website. Bookers was my first introduction to an overproof bourbon, and it's still one of my favourites too.