Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

\"But Always Fine Bourbon\"

I'd searched for several months for an affordable copy of Sally Van Winkle Campbell's remembrance of her grandfather, Julian "Pappy" Van Winkle, but could only discover a $60+ used copy on Amazon (and even that's gone now!). But happenstance brought me across a website called "A Taste of Kentucky" the other day, and lo and behold!, there was a brand-new "But Always Fine Bourbon" at what was probably the original issue price -- $29.99 plus shipping. Coffee-table-size, the inside covers are papered with reproductions of Stitzel-Weller bourbon labels, and the book itself has dozens of historic photos. Ms. Campbell's warm descriptions of both Pappy and her father, Julian Jr., are accompanied by a history of one of the most storied -- and missed -- bourbon franchises. I'm sure some of you already have this book, but if not, consider it.
    An exerpt from Pappy, at his 75th birthday bash on the 100th anniversary of the Weller company:
    "I do not believe we deserve so much praise, because, after all, we have simply tried to be honest and make a good product. I was taught to be honest, but I was not told there was to be a premium on honesty, but rather a penalty for dishonesty."

He surely did deserve it.

A Taste of Kentucky books

Guru

Re: \"But Always Fine Bourbon\"

Amazon used to sell it for about $30. When I ordered mine it said 3 copies remaining... After they ran out, they never seemed to get them in again. It is a wonderful book, with wonderful history in it. Anyone who does not have it I would say consider getting it if you ever have the chance.

Advanced Taster

I have an extensive home bar and about 200 bar books, including "But Always Fine Bourbon."

My wife always complains that I bring home (buy) more and more bar books. I have about a dozen bourbon-specific books, some fairly old. Now that I know how much some of the good bourbon books can fetch, I have another excuse to buy even more of them.

Thanks.

Connoisseur

I have the same problem, except multiplied by the fact that my partner also loves grabbing up books so we end up with quite a few bookcases.

I called up Sally a few months ago and got 5 copies of the book for the store, kept one for myself. She even was kind enough to sign them for me. A wonderful account of a wonderful family. Really draws you in and makes you proud to drink up ORVW. Touched me personally to see a family struggle and stick together. Besides, it's worth buying the book just to see Julian in those cute short pants as a little boy.

I'm looking forward to catching the second edition she's coming out with that's gonna include a chapter on Julian and hopefully we'll hear more about how his son is getting involved, as well.

Enthusiast

My sister Sally has written, with my help, another chapter to the book. It covers the Van Winkle business from my father's death til the present. She is down to just a few dozen copies which she wants to hang on to. That's why Amazon does not carry the book anymore. We plan on having the new edition out in June or July. The book will be available on our web site also.
    Julian

Administrator in exile

Thanks Julian, that's good to know as I have been trying to find a copy lately with no success. While I enjoy reading historical accounts of the bourbon industry, I also want to know how things work today. I look forward to the additional chapter!

I will almost certainly buy a copy of the new edition for the extra chapter, but am still glad I found a copy of the original. As a lifelong collector -- of this, that and another thing -- there's something special about originals of anything. It's no secret to you, Julian, how specially interesting your family is, but please convey my (our?) appreciation to your sister for her part in preserving it.

Connoisseur

I just picked up a copy from "A Taste of Kentucky".
    Thanks for the info.I also concur with your thoughts about
    Sally and Julian.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

I'm in the process of ordering a copy from A Taste of Kentucky.com We are just working out the final shipping costs now. (The initial shipping quote was more than the book.)
    It doesn't say if it is the updated edition or the original - time will tell...

I'd also like to add my thanks to Sally & Julian for giving us the opportunity to read about their family

Enthusiast

Cam:
    The books that "Taste of KY" has in stock now are the new edition. The book is also available at the Buffalo Trace gift shop.You might want to check with them to compare shipping costs.502-696-5926.
    Julian