Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guru

Re: How old were you when you first starting loving good bourbon?

Cliff,
    Please don't misconstrue my meaning as belittling 1843. All I was saying is that in my market there weren't any Old Rip Van Winkles, Blantons, or Elijah Craigs such as I truly enjoy these days. For bourbon, we did have Beam and Wild Turkey but I never cared for White Label Beam even back then and Wild Turkey had a mystique of making people do funny things like dancing naked around the court square (did I really do that or were they making it up?) 1843 was to me at that time what a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle 20 is to me today. That was the point I so clumsily tried to make. And just when I was getting that Nike taste out of my mouth too.

Connoisseur

Well, I was one of those good girls who didn't drink at all until the legal age of 21. And I was even in a sorority in college! I learned how to bartend as a second job at 21 and it all went from there. Loved learning about all kinds of booze and wine, but was fascinated by our very own American spirit. I also learned you could gain some respect by ordering Booker's instead of a Cosmo when out with "the boys," not to mention the money you save sipping on that one drink for a while. At 30, I was introduced to Pappy. No turning back.

Guru

Re: How old were you when you first starting loving good bourbon

A long, long time ago when I was about 16 or 17 I was given some Wild Turkey 8 year old at a party. I had tasted several very cheap bourbons before that, but the WT was yummy.

Then, in college, I still tended to buy the cheap stuff when a new friend from Kentucky had me try his Stitzel Weller bourbon (I can't remember if it was Old Fitzgerald or Weller Special Reserve). Another wonderful eye opener.

But, I kept buying the cheaper brands (Old Forester, Henry McKenna, etc). Around 1988, another friend gave me a taste of the (then) new Blanton's. Wow! But, I was still too cheap to buy it for myself. For about ten years there, I pretty much stuck to George Dickel No. 12.

But, in about 2001, a bug bit me to try every different bourbon I could get my hands on. Then I found sb.com and now, somehow or other, I have become a "virtuoso". Its a lot of fun.

To put all this into perspective, I am now 52 years old.

Tim

Novice

I guess I must have been bitten by that same bug. My income is meager, to say the least, but I just can't seem to help sinking just about every spare cent I have into buying another bottle of the stuff. I can only wonder how this bodes for the future...

Administrator in exile

I envy you Aaron! I remember not so long ago when all of bourbonia was new to me. Every trip to the liquor store was an adventure. There was a certain mystique to trying a new bourbon. I do believe I am happier now now with more experience, but the early days were sure lots of fun! You have come to the right place. Welcome to straightbourbon.com!

Enjoy where you're at right now, Aaron -- I'm reaching the end of that stage, and it's been fun; and, with the help and guidance of so many experienced palates here at SB.com, educational. But, now, after only maybe 16-18 months, I'm starting to know enough to have to make some decisions -- like, do I really like this well enough to pay that price?, or, is Hirsch getting too rare to drink?, or maybe, shouldn't I finished the six bottles I have opened before I buy that $40 'Noah's Mill', or should I grab it now because I might never see it again? There's something to be said for just popping the cork or twisting the top and pouring.

Advanced Taster

Have never been much of a drinker , at an early age I found that even small amounts of alcohol be it beer , wine or hard stuff left me with a mind spliting headache.... On my 21st birthday Dad poured me a glass of Bellows Club Bourbon I found that it was not bad at all baring the headaches after such indulgent. I tryed a few other low priced bourbons but never really cared one way or the other if I drank .
    A friend who did drink and had formed the opinion of what was a "Good" bourbon as to what a cheap bottom shelf ,Rat/dog p*ss, etc etc etc bourbon was got me to try a few different bourbons , I then found out what a Good Bourbon and a Headache in a glass was..... Due to the fact I drink very little and have been known to nurse an open bottle / 5th for over a year price was not much of a draw back as to finding a selection (early 80's -90's ). It's good to see a greater selection of bourbons these days more common . As to love of a good bourbon I guess people and time make up a part of this that even a low qaulity bourbon can be great in the company of good people and the right monment ...
    Bill G.

Connoisseur

Well, it has only been about 2 to 3 years. I am now almost 57(wow, where did the years go) and I love drinking and collecting all of these fine bourbons.

When I was younger, gin was my drink; martini, g & t
    were my favorites. I still enjoy a good martini before
    dinner.

But I am truly fascinated with bourbon as many of you are.
    I find enjoyment from every bottle and brand that I open.
    Unfortanely I have way too many to ever drink by myself.

Soooo, please let me know when you are traveling through Maryland . My hospitality awaits you.

Guru

Why, as a matter of fact, I am headed that way in just a few minutes.

Tim

Apprentice

When I was in my late 20s I played golf with an older gentleman who was from England and he turned me on to bourbon. He told me that we Americans didn't know what a good thing we had in our own backyard. I found it odd that this man was not a Scotch drinker. He said that he did like his Scotch but bourbon had so much more character and bravado. He has since passed away but I always remember sharing his flask contents on cool fall afternoons. I am in my late 40s and consider myself a bourbon novice and hope to learn and enjoy this forum.