In my early twenties I tried the occasional Beam and Coke, and found it quite unpleasant. I attributed this to a dislike of bourbon. For the next 5 or 6 years I avoided bourbon and turned to beer and tequilla as my drinks of choice. Then, on a Saturday afternoon, several years ago, Leslie and I took a trip to Loretto and visited the Maker's Mark Distillery. Well that was enough to make me go right out and buy myself a bottle, of Maker's of course. It was much better than I remembered, though I had never drank it straight before. I stayed pretty close to MM for a while, occasionally venturing out with Woodford Reserve and Wild Turkey. Now I would guess that I have tasted about 75-80% of everything on the market today, and really enjoy most of it. About 6 months ago I thought I would try a bourbon and coke for old time's sake. I found it just as displeasing as I did years ago. Turns out, I just don't like bourbon and coke. I sure could have saved myself a lot of time If I had just tried it straight to begin with