Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: beer

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: beer

And speaking for Heineken, this just in from Just-Drinks:

Heineken and Groupe SEB have teamed up to create a draught beer system to be used at home. After a successful pilot in Switzerland, the BeerTender, consisting of an appliance and keg, will first be launched in the Netherlands and many countries are to follow.

The BeerTender system brings a new technology that delivers draught beer for home consumption. The BeerTender appliance keeps the compact 4-litre keg at the right temperature and in the most optimal condition for a period of three weeks after the first beer has been drawn.

In a statement, Heineken chairman Thony Ruys said: “Innovation brings growth to the Heineken brand. BeerTender is aimed to do just that. It offers the real draught beer experience at the consumers' home.

“I'm very happy that we have been able to combine the technical expertise of Groupe SEB and Heineken's expertise on draught beer.”

Thierry de La Tour d'Artaise, chairman of Groupe SEB said: “Heineken and Krups form a perfect match of international innovative brands, well known for their quality and expertise. Our group has always created new products expected by consumers. We are convinced of the success of the BeerTender system, a joint alliance of innovation in small domestic appliances and the know-how of the most famous brewer.”

Groupe SEB will be responsible for the production, marketing and future development of the BeerTender appliances. Heineken will further develop the kegs and take the lead in the production and distribution of the kegs.

Enthusiast

> Heineken and Groupe SEB have teamed up to create a draught beer system to be
    > used at home. After a successful pilot in Switzerland, the BeerTender,
    > consisting of an appliance and keg, will first be launched in the Netherlands
    > and many countries are to follow.

The use of the 4 liter keg is brilliant! "Kegerators" have long been a
    thing of awe wonder that dedicated swill drinkers invest in... but they
    take up a great deal of space. I've seen plenty of do-it-yourself versions
    for full size kegs, but I'd never thought of putting one together for
    smaller sized kegs. The smaller space requirement (and presumably
    lower cost) makes this thing much more purchasable.

Tim Dellinger

Novice

It's just my opinion, but if I'm going to invest in a draught-beer setup at home, it's certainly not going to be for Heineken. I don't want to come off sounding like a beer snob, but it's been my experience that Americans drink (and, moreover, even seem to appreciate) generally mediocre beers. I personally can't stand the taste of regular Heineken--however, the oft-overlooked Heineken Dark is itself a pretty decent beer. I don't understand the mass-appeal of Corona, either...I mean, could it get any more watered down? Oh wait--Corona Light. Nevermind.

I don't know what to attribute it to--this country's collective draw to sub-par beers--is it the advertising? Or perhaps that people don't care to take the time to broaden their tastes and refine their palates? Whatever the case, it saddens me.

I myself rarely drink domestic beers, at least the ubiquitous staples like Bud, Michelob, Coors, Miller, etc. Lately I've been drinking a lot of Stone Brew beers (Arrogant Bastard Ale & Stone IPA), which is actually kind of a hassle, seeing as I have to travel out of state to buy them (owing to SC's wonderful restrictions on high-alcohol beers.) I also find myself picking up Sierra Nevada (Pale & Porter), Sammy Smith (Taddy Porter & Oatmeal Stout), and Anchor Steam quite a bit. My standard fallback, though, is Guiness. I just can't seem to get enough of the stuff.

Advanced Taster

My beer standards aren't nearly as high as my bourbon standards. I like Sierra Nevada and Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

I'm with you Otho, I have 2 hats. When my Bourbon hat is on,that's one thing, Put on the beer hat and there's nothing they have brewed that I can't drink and enjoy.

Administrator in exile

Sierra Nevada's Porter has become one of my favorite beers lately. Their IPA is quite good as well

Guru

Again, this past Christmas, I went out and bought the Saranac 12 beers sampler pack. I was particularly taken by their White Belgian ale or lager I forget which it was. Oddly enough Jeff, I like their Pale Ale but their India Pale Ale just didn't sit good with me. Man was that bitter as hell! I was looking around at Saranac's website, and unfortunately they do not have a description for every beer they make. I wanted to read again about the ones I really liked in that set... There was a caramel porter and that too was great.

Anyways, I'm not a regular beer drinker, but does anyone know if any other companies (Saranac included) produce variety packs such as this throughout the year? I do not drink beer often but when I do I want a vast majority and buy a 6 pack of something doesn't do it for me. I know Michelob also makes a sampler pack with 2 free glasses around Christmas every year. It includes their speciality beers. Any info is appreciated as always.

The Boss

It's remarkable to me that you can purchase Sierra Nevada's products in Kentucky. That brewery seems to be a genuine success story.

I can remember driving to Chico with my buddies just so we could drink the stuff, as distribution didn't extend 80 miles to the south.

Administrator in exile

Mark,

I know that Goose Island has a 12 bottle sampler pack similar to Saranac that you have tried. I like most of their beers and they are relatively inexpensive when compared to the other so-called micro-breweries. I really like their "Hex Nut" brown ale.

BTW, when does the term micro-brewery cease to apply to a smaller brewery? Seems to me that some of them produce more than I would have expected from a smaller operation. Or, more likely, is it all just marketing jargon?

Administrator in exile

I think they showed up at the Liquor Barn sometime last year and seem to have become quite popular around here. I just hope they don't fall victim to their own success.