Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Stationed at Cape Horn for a Year

I'm not as widely 'tasted' as many of you here, so I'm going to leave off some that I know others will (would) include simply because I haven't tried them yet. Additionally, I'm using some price points for some items that match what others have used -- Tennessee (the so-called 'sin' tax seems to be the only popular tax in the state legislature!) may be well-stocked with brands, but the prices here tend to be on the high side for many items, so what may cost some of you $20 is likely in the $25 range here.

MONTHLY ALLOCATION
    Jan- Weller 12yo
    Feb- Jim Beam Black
    Mar- W.L. Weller Antique 107
    Apr- Wild Turkey 101
    May- ORVW 10/90
    Jun- AAA 10yo
    Jul- Evan Williams SB
    Aug- Rebel Yell (Hey, I like it!)
    Sep- Old Forester
    Oct- Buffalo Trace
    Nov- Old Charter 10yo
    Dec- Old Charter 12yo

SEASONAL ALLOCATION
    spring- ER 17yo
    summer- ERSB 10yo
    fall- Stagg
    winter- VS Old Fitz 12yo

SPECIAL ALLOCATION
    1- Sazerac Rye
    2- Pappy 20

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, and which I don't believe is excluded by the terms of the engagement, is that you might want to consider stepping down a notch some of your monthly, $20 allocations and pick up a couple of cheap 1.75 L sizes instead of just getting 750s. Old Fitzgerald is a good choice available here in Chicago in the 1.75 L for under $20.

Although I haven't played exactly, I think this is a really cool game.

Connoisseur

Chuck,
    you might want to consider stepping down a notch some of your monthly, $20 allocations and pick up a couple of cheap 1.75 L sizes instead of just getting 750s. ...Although I haven't played exactly, I think this is a really cool game.
    geez...I like the way you think...
    Bj

Connoisseur

Cliff,

Fantastic choice for August! I don't know if the current 15y Drum is anything like it was 2-3 yrs ago... ...

Doubtful we'd get a real answer if we asked.

Omar

Guru

Special Allocation ($200 max total)
    1. A.H. Hirsch Reserve 16yo
    Cliff,

Through the end of February you can get this one from Sam's at the ridiculous price of $32.66, IIRC.

OTOH, I'd love to know where you (and others) find some of the prices implied by your list(s). Perhaps the most startling to me on your list is WT 12 y/o under $40. I can't seem to find that one at all now.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

1) Through the end of February you can get this one from Sam's at the ridiculous price of $32.66, IIRC.

2) I'd love to know where you (and others) find some of the prices implied by your list(s). Perhaps the most startling to me on your list is WT 12 y/o under $40. I can't seem to find that one at all now.
    1) Very true. With a price like that I was able to provision both a Hirsch 16 and a Pappy 23 with my $200 "special allocation."

2) Although Wild Turkey 12yo is no longer distributed domestically, it is one of the most widely available bourbons in duty free shops around the world (not just DFS Galleria) and is uniformly priced at $40.

Connoisseur

2) Although Wild Turkey 12yo is no longer distributed domestically, it is one of the most widely available bourbons in duty free shops around the world (not just DFS Galleria) and is uniformly priced at $40.

I realize I'm beating the proverbial here, but sometimes I'm alittle slow... I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the logic here.
    How/Why can this Bourbon be sold outside of Kentucky cheaper than inside Kentucky??
    Turkey 12 is one of my alltime favorites, and I just think that's wrong on several levels...
    I'll get down now,
    Bj