Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Cats and Dogs

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Cats and Dogs

Cats and Dogs refer to the portfolio of labels a distiller have to sell whiskey under and are non-premium and usually have no dedicated advertising for them. Often credit for introducing this term here is given me, and I appreciate that, however I'm finally going to reveal my source.

Drum Roll Please!

" Brown-Forman had always been a premium whisky producer, but now its sales list was loaded with brands the salesmen openly referred to as " Cats and Dogs"."

P.69 Nothing Better In The Market

I still thnk there's a reference in Bluegrass Belles and Bourbon. If I find that I will update here.

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Re: Cats and Dogs

Hey, it does not matter. You are the one who introduced the term, "cat and dogs" to us

I officailly, give you the trademark to it...As soon as BP takes care of it legal aspects, it'll be yours

Ohhhhhhhhhh Yeahhhhhhhhh

Advanced Taster

I have a copy of "Bluegrass, Belles and Bourbon". I will check this expression out.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Good book that! Mike Veach knows there are some things in Krolls' book that are wrong, maybe we can get him to pick a few more obvious things and post them . Nevertheless I feel it is the most entertaining of any bourbon book I have read.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The term 'cats and dogs' to describe minor brands has been used almost universally in the spirits industry for as long as I can remember which, admittedly after so much bourbon, isn't very long.

Connoisseur

I had never heard this term until barrelproof mentioned it to me recently.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Okay, maybe not universal, but I came up in marketing with Brown-Forman, Jim Beam, Schenley and other companies, and worked with people from Barton and some Chicago distributors, and I have heard it used at all of those places for probably 20 years. I sure heard it at Jim Beam in 1987 when they bought a truckload of cats and dogs in the National acquisition.