Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

How do you get away with it.

Sorry gals, this is a question for the guys.

Most every woman I know absolutely HATES the smell of stale cigar smoke on their man. A very good friend of mine actually had to give up his prestigious membership in his cigar club 'cause it was causing grief at home (that's another topic). So my question to you all is this... Does your "significant other" not mind, or if she does, what do you do to either avoid confrontation, or rid yourself of cigar smoke after-smell, after-taste.

(Just wondering, as I'd love to smoke the odd cuban, but my wonderful wife HATES IT!?!?!)

Disciple

Re: How do you get away with it.

I smoke outside and shower and brush my teeth soon afterward most times. Jessica doesnt even like what I smell like after visiting the humidor at the cigar shop.

Overall she is way tolerant though.

Also :ALTOIDS!

TomC

Advanced Taster

I have kind of a fortunate situation. There is a story behind it that is too long to go into here. So I will save that for another time, and just answer your question.

My wife is very tolerant of me. She trusts me to run my business and bring in the bread, and understands that boys are into toys and that guys do lots of stupid things. She knows that I am basically just a silly little man trying to have some fun in life. She's also aware that I tend to dive head-first into new interests that sometimes stick, or sometimes fade in time. When I take up a new hobby, she never can tell if it's gonna be long term, so she just doesn't sweat it.

She had a best friend growing up who's father was rather well-to-do, and was always smoking premium cigars around the house. She grew accustomed to the smell, and the smell of my cigars brings back fond memories of her childhood.

Recently, she has begun smoking WITH me!!! She likes the Cojimar Vanilla Torpedo and the CAO Moontrance cigars. The rich vanilla flavors are mellow and nice, and they tend to be very smooth and mild... especially the Moontrance. I am hoping that she will eventually work her way past flavored cigars, and branch into the premiums with me. But I am not willing to rush her. Heck, whatever she enjoys smoking is just fine with me!!!

She has mentioned the smell that I occasionally bring to bed with me, and so I will sometimes take a shower before heading for bed. I also try to brush my teeth before bed. It won't remove all of that lovely "finish" but it helps. It also doesn't hurt that we have a California King!

I never smoke a cigar before going to see clients, and so I generally do not smell like cigars on days where I will be doing business with people. I wait until the work is done, and then I light one up in the car on the way home!

There's a funny running joke she always harps on too. I always get a chuckle...

I carry about $1.5 million in life insurance on myself for income protection, estate planning, and business considerations. Between that and our other investment accounts, she'll be just fine if something bad happens to me. So when I grab a cigar and head for the porch, she's always like... "Oh! Let me pour you a drink to go with that! And would you mind bringing in some red meat from the freezer while you're at it? What would you like for dessert tonight?"

Heheheheheh. Golly, I love that chick.

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

I'll chime in with the rest of the guys.....smoke it outside (with a bourbon), shower and brush. My wife will usually let me in bed if I follow that regemin.

DoubleBlank

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

I'm in the same boat as Dave. Even with a shower, leaving clothes in the garage, brushing, gargling and partial immersion in Hi-Karate (Remember That?),I am unfit for approach and landing rights. I don't smoke often and realize as soon as the match is lit, I've made a choice.

Advanced Taster

Perhaps smoking cigars a little more often than once in a blue moon would help. If you light up more often, and express your delight in the enjoyment of a fine cigar, your wives may just sense that this is a very pleasurable activity for you. Perhaps they'll do as my wife has, and become curious as to exactly why it has taken your fancy. My honey even smokes a cigar with me on occasion! That is no small feat gentlemen.

It's always difficult to tell by reading a post, just how dramatically the objectionable spouse may be reacting. But you fellas make it sound fairly dire. Without wishing to cause offense or anger some great potential friends on this forum, I will still ask the following question. Because I think it's a fair question.

Who is the real head of your household?

I mean, are we men or are we mice? I call the shots in my household, for sure. My wife knows that I love her, and that I will protect and support her. I do not smoke IN the house out of respect for her. But if I decide that I would like to smoke a cigar, that's all there is to it.

I encourage you Real Men of Genius (funny beer commercials) to grab a glass of bourbon with a cigar and head for your favorite smoking location. Do it today... do it now!!! You can thank me later.

Guru

B Dub,

the objectionable spouse

I'm guessing you meant "the objecting spouse". Come to think of it, maybe it works either way.

I used to say that a man who claims to be the boss in his house will lie about other things, too. I've quit saying that, mainly because I don't recall the last time I heard anyone make that claim.

Of course, we used to have a member here who advocated spanking, but that's a whole other subject.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Advanced Taster

HAHAHAHA! Yes! I think you've nicely captured the essense of what I meant. But you're right, it kinda works both ways. Heheheheh. Fortunately, people can change.

You know, I rule with a special kind of authority. That's because Mrs. Dub gave me my crown last week! Seriously. She is the boss about most of the daily aspects of household operations, and I sorta tend to being the executive of my biz. But she works within a pretty clear framework of guidelines; and when it comes down to it, she knows that my word has got to be final. That's biblical, and I think that's the way it was meant to be.

Disciple

I mean, are we men or are we mice? I call the shots in my household, for sure. My wife knows that I love her, and that I will protect and support her. I do not smoke IN the house out of respect for her. But if I decide that I would like to smoke a cigar, that's all there is to it.

Equal incomes, Equal intelligence, Equal partners. There is no head of household at the Cloutier home, we share it equally. Even though my wife finds the entire concept of smoking objectionable, she nas never complained once We had a discussion together regarding it and decided together on three things:

1) not in the house (which I wouldnt do anyway)

2) bourbon and cigars come from the same potrion of the budget (also fair as I am not taking on a second job to support my hobbies)

3) she mentioned she doesnt like the smell, and I accomodate that

Seems pretty fair to me overall, I get what I was (the cigars) and she get what she wants (not to smell them)

everybody wins

TomC

Novice

Just luck of the draw I guess, My last serious girlfriend did not mind the cigars at all or the bourbon. In fact for my birthday she bought me a great Fuente,a bottle of Makers and some nices photos(but those are another story).Bourbon and cigars are two big passions for me and I like to share them with who I choose to be with.It would not be a deal breaker if she did not drink or smoke but it would be if I wasn't "allowed".