Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

How Do You Drink Your Bourbon?

I am currently recovering from a bout of gastritis (don't ask) which prevented me from drinking bourbon for awhile. As I recover, I'm finding that it's easier on my stomach to drink bourbon with an ice cube added, rather than neat, which has always been my preferred method. I'm finding that drinking bourbon with ice seems to bring out subtle flavors that I couldn't detect when I drank it straight. This got me to wondering how you all drink your bourbon. Neat? On the rocks? A little of each?

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Re: How Do You Drink Your Stagg?

Re: How Do You Drink Your Bourbon?

Take one old fashion glass, add a little crushed ice, a lot of bourbon, swirl a couple of times and drink.

Hank

Enthusiast

While I used to drink my whisk(e)ys neat, I now will often add a splash of water -- it proves to be easier on the stomach! The quantity of water depends on the brand. One comment on water... it's never straight from the tap. I keep a container of tap water in the fridge which allows chemicals like chlorine to dissipate. I also do not like mineral water or bottled waters, although they claim to be pure, they seem to be too hard.

Taster

For anything 100 proof or higher, one small ice cube or a splash of water. As mentioned in a previous reply, I use "Brita" filtered water for all my coffee, tea, or bourbon.

Connoisseur

In general I follow the rule in my SB.com screenname--but sometimes when I'm not being serious I'll violate the rule and drink on the rocks.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Usually neat, especially when the weather is cool. With a cube or two, especially when the weather is warm. Ice or, for that matter, cold water is okay for ordinary drinking, but for serious tasting the water should be room temperature. I find Brita-filtered tap water perfectly acceptable for all of my personal hydration needs.

Advanced Taster

Good for you!!! Tap water, allowing the chlorine to dissipate, is the only way to go. The other minerals add a hint of taste and, believe it or not, distilled water brings a horrible taste to most things, including bourbon. Bottled water is no better than most tap water, once the chlorine gas is allowed to escape, although there are some tap waters that may be a little too "hard" to add to bourbon. Take it from me, I have worked in a public water utility for 32 years and know of what I speak!

Advanced Taster

I usually drink premium bourbons neat, from a small 6 oz brandy snifter. I never use shot glasses.

I have been known to add one or two small ice cubes to high proof bourbons... and never branch water, however. On some occasions, I will have bourbon on the rocks.

With my "well bourbons" I will just add coke and ice.

Guru

I'm finding that drinking bourbon with ice seems to bring out subtle flavors that I couldn't detect when I drank it straight.
    I have noted this fact, previously, but I was hooted down by everyone else claiming it only gives dilution. But, the serious scotch drinkers accept this as fact.

In winter, I usually drink my bourbon straight or with just a few drops of water. In warmer weather, I like a large "on the rocks" glass filled with ice cubes and a large shot of bourbon. I will occasionally drink it on the rocks in winter and occasionally straight in summer.

Tim