Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

VWFRR -- All Gone?

The Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye seems to have disappeared here in Chicago. At least I didn't see any on my most recent visits to Sam's and Binny's. Is it still available elsewhere?

Well, it's not the same, but I do like this Rittenhouse Bonded Rye. Guess it'll have to do.

Connoisseur

Re: VWFRR -- All Gone?

Please, oh PLEASE tell me this is a temporary thing!! I only have two bottles in the bunker!

Maybe we can get an official word from Julian!?

Guru

This is purely speculation and my opinion but this may just be something as simple as supply not being able to keep up with demand. It did happen with the Pappy 20 towards the end of last year. Also, when they ceased production of the 12 year Old RIp Van Winkle Rye they removed it from their product line on Julian's website. The VWFRR is still listed. Plus it earning such good reviews and rating by many makes it a valuable product in his lineup. Still, I would feel more comfortable hearing what's up from Julian himself. So Julian, what's the deal?

One other thought I just had... Doubtful but; Could Buffalo Trace have persuaded him to stop producing it hoping more sales would go to Sazerac?

Connoisseur

It hasn't been on the shelf in Columbia, SC since about last fall. Nor has the 15 year ORVW. The only flavor I can currently find is the 12 year, and that was scarce for a while. But Buffalo Trace has appeared in the within the last few weeks.
    Craig

Advanced Taster

How will the soon-to-come bottling be distributed? Will any make its way to PA?

SpeedyJohn

Enthusiast

The future of our 13-year rye whiskey has been uncertain until now.
    We have just tanked a 13 year supply of the rye. The whiskey was getting old so we decided to tank it. It took awhile to taste each barrel before we tanked the whiskey, but it is finally done now. That's the good news. The bad news is that it will be in very short supply. We only have about 290 cases to sell per year. We plan to bottle next week, so it should reappear on the shelves within a month. We are producing new whiskey now at BT for this brand.
    Julian

Guru

Julian,

Do I infer correctly that at age 60 years I have to make it to age 73 to taste the BT version?

Yours truly,
    Dave "Should Have Bunkered More VWFRR and Less Hirsch 16" Morefield

Enthusiast

Dave:
    I'm afraid so!
    I just tasted the new VWFR rye, and it is very nice. Very smooth and sweeter than the prvious rye but still spicy.
    Julian

Connoisseur

I can't wait...but I guess I have no choice, huh? Got to be patient which ain't never been one of my strong points. Believe me, I've already got a waiting list at the store for the next batch.

Taster

I haven't been able to find the 12-year VW Old Time Rye for a few months. Will it be available going forward?

schlep