Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Re: VWFRR -- All Gone?

Bobby.....I just got back from a run to my favorite liquor store and guess what I saw. ORVW Old Time Rye, and lots of it on the shelf. Grabbed two as I've never seen it or tasted it before. The bottling is from the "A" series in Lawrenceburg. Where could these things have been sitting around? The store is large with high turnover of stock...this had just been put out, and at $19 I had to give it a try. Anyway...there is some of it out there somewhere.

Randy

Guru

At $19 you found a great buy. I'd buy them all up, that is if there is not a crazy amount like 12 on the shelves. I am sure people would be interested in buying or trading a bottle or two, I know I'd be since it is near impossible to find anymore. Good find Randy!

Buy 'em out! Bring it in September. Let's trade!

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Ditto. The ORVW Old Time is a very fine rye, well done, Randy.

Gary

Administrator in exile

Bring 'em all!

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

It does no disservice to this rye to say it makes a major Manhattan cocktail. I never had one made with any other whiskey as good - and for maximum effect, it needs to be taken straight up.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

I'll call tomorrow and buy everything they have. I'll post how many I get and we can start trading. What I don't understand is how the largest store in Texas ends up with a case of such an old bottling long out of production

Randy

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Unless I'm mistaken, the ORVW rye is the same whiskey as the VWFR rye, albiet a little younger. You should be able to sell or trade those no problem.

How does it happen? It may have disappeared in a corner of one of their storerooms, or similarly in a storeroom at the distributor. They obviously didn't know it's something rare and in demand or they would have jacked up the price.

That's probably it. In our area right now, it's Hirsch 16yo -- but not the newest, rather the older dipped, wax tops, bottled in Lawrenceburg. The distributor 'found' several cases it didn't know it had (or, at least, didn't know WHAT it had) and has finally placed them in some of the higher-traffic stores. I scratched and clawed (and drove to Covington, KY) to get my first few bottles. Now, I know where there are several cases' worth (albeit at $65-$70 a bottle).

Guru

Yeah, cases of stuff get 'misplaced' often... That's what happened when a place in NJ came across nearly 20 bottles of Wild Turkey 12 year old from the early 90's. And best of all, they sold it in the mid to high $20's! Same thing with a store near me that had their distributor come across several cases of JD 1895 replica bottles form the 90's... They were selling them for around $35 and at the time, they were selling for $85 on eBay. Not a bad payday to buy some cases and sell em' individually on eBay.