Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: VWFRR -- All Gone?

Please buy all you can get. I will be at the festival, General Nelson, and will bring many tradeable items. Of course I will bring cash also.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Excellent find , Randy. To tell the truth I prefer the 12 year Old Time Rye to the Family Reserve.

I guess I'll have to cut you a Bourbo-Bunker pass, What do you want?

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Bobby......Thanks for the "pass". I'm playing golf this am and then going by the store to buy up the rest of their stock of Old Time Rye. I'll post how many I find and pm everyone who wanted one. I've got a lot to bring to the Festival!

Randy

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

Reading this post makes me very envious....
    Here in Australia, I've only managed to find 2 bottles of any Van Winkle product for sale - a Family Reserve Rye for AU $90 and a Family Reserve 20yo for AU $400
    The Family Reserve is out due to cost, but I'm very keen to try the Rye.
    They're both located interstate (some 2000 miles away) so shipping costs need to be added as well...and the retailer doesn't seem to enthusiastic to help out

Enthusiast

I just took a gander at the Buffalo Trace distillery cam (Blanton's Bottling Warehouse) and noticed that they're bottling some right this very moment. I have no idea where it is going to be shipped, but at least we know there's more on the way.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I would be interested to know if anyone who has tried a recent bottling has noticed how much different it is from the earlier bottlings. I believe that, although it still says 13 years on the label, what is coming out now is more like 17 years old. You can really tell. At first I wasn't even sure I liked it. I have warmed up to it since then, but I would buy some of the true 13-year-old if I could find it. Julian was absolutely right to get this stuff out of wood when he did. More aging was not going to improve it.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I agree, the current ORVW 13 year old seems different than a few years ago. Also, even amongst the F bottlings (I've tried 3 now) there are seemingly variations, relatively subtle, but there nonetheless. My no. 747 was softer and less intense than the later-numbered ones. I think it was a good idea to tank it because in my opinion more aging would not help the palate. It is fine now (albeit somewhat different to three years ago or so) but if it can be "held" as it now is that would be best. I find the current one makes a superlative Manhattan or rocks drink. The one of a few years ago was ditto but also drank well neat or with slight addition of water. Even though Rock Hill Farms is bourbon its 16 year old reminds me of the ORVW rye, both have a richness and barrel character I find appealing.

Gary

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

I found some of the new VWFRR F series bottling in Denver; picked one up for only $19.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Great price! It's $30 here.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

The future of our 13-year rye whiskey has been uncertain until now.
    We have just tanked a 13 year supply of the rye. The whiskey was getting old so we decided to tank it. It took awhile to taste each barrel before we tanked the whiskey, but it is finally done now. That's the good news. The bad news is that it will be in very short supply. We only have about 290 cases to sell per year. We plan to bottle next week, so it should reappear on the shelves within a month. We are producing new whiskey now at BT for this brand.
    Julian
    I was in a liquor store in Louisville(okay, many) but in one of them I overheard the proprietors talking to another customer saying that the VW rye they had was the last that they'd get for 3 years. I just want to check that this plan still holds or do I need to go buy a 3 year supply?