Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: VWFRR -- All Gone?

Timothy:
    Which store was that in Louisville? I'll go by & straighten them out.
    As I sad previously, starting in July-August of each year, we will have 290 cases to sell in the US each year. About 30 of those cases will be in Kentucky-Louisville area.
    Julian

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Thanks Julian. That's just what I wanted to hear(though I would like to hear larger numbers, as would many I'd bet).

Though I may have misheard(and just what I'd deserve for letting myself hear others' conversations) I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't be deprived of your wonderful rye.

PM sent

Connoisseur

I haven't been able to get it for about the last year in SC either. Can you rattle some cages there?

Craig

Connoisseur

Earlier this evening, along with my first bottle of Pappy 15yo bourbon, I snagged my first VWFRR for the home inventory. While I have never tried rye, I am looking forward to the experience.

I do not recall seeing VWFRR in any other store around here until this one today. They have 1 more bottle in stock and I may go back for it next week if my tasting experience is as good as I expect it to be. Just about anything in the VW family is hard to find around my stomping grounds. If you find a VW product, always best to grab it before someone else does.

BTW, I see a lot of reference to the alpha letter found on the VWFRR such as an "E" or "F" bottle. Mine is marked "G3259". What does that mean exactly in terms of barrel origination or date, and, when it was dumped for bottling?

Guru

"G" denotes 2005 Release.
    Joe

Connoisseur

Not to beat a with this question....but, is the "G" bottling the older S-W whiskey or the newer BT? I know that is a frequent question here on the Forum and I have yet to be able to master the answer. Right now, the only factor I know to use is the year 1992 when S-W shut down operations. If my math is reasonably good, VW whiskies that are currently 13-year (possibly) or younger were born under the BT masthead(?).

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

IIRC Julian has never revealed the source of the rye. But he has stated that they tanked the rye at about 19yo and the F and G bottlings are both from this tanked stock or at least from the same lot of barrels and the rest was tanked after the F was bottled(something like that anyway). At any rate the rye is not from the same stock as the other products that are bottles as VW. The current issue 10yo is Bernhiem-distilled and the 12yo should soon be also(or may be now). Then as that stock moves through to the older products the BT-distilled stock will come into the younger and work its way throught the product line. Julian says he has many years of the rye tanked, so then when thats used up that shall also move inot BT-distilled stock.

Sound right, Julian?

Enthusiast

Yep-that sounds correct. S/W never distilled any rye for me or anybody. The present rye in the F & G bottles is a marriage of two different rye distillations. We hope to continue bottling the presently tanked rye for another 11 years, unless it starts going south in the tank.
    We hope to start bottling BT rye in about 11 years.
    Julian

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Now that's interesting since I felt (and if one searches in the archives here the comment will be found) that starting with F the rye tasted somewhat different from the E and earlier bottlings, and not just as a result of being "older". It's all very good, but F really did seem to strike out on a path of its own. I'd ask which two ryes are in there but I don't think Julian will say since he never (I believe) confirmed the origin of the rye in the E and earlier bottlings. Rumor here had it that it was Medley whiskey but we never knew for sure!

Gary

Connoisseur

While out on a late evening adventure after work tonight looking for some hard-to-find bourbon, I came across a little bit of a treasure. Well, at least to me because I have not seen one before. It is a "B" bottling of VWFRR. Now, counting backwards would this be the version for year 2000?

Anyhow, not too bad a find for a bourbon hunter stumbling around in dark corners of an old liquor shop.

Wayne