Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Re: VWFRR -- All Gone?

is there any reason the Lawrenceburg ones should be sought after?
    I hope not! All of Julians whiskies are desirable to have. To my mind all he did was move his operation to Buffalo Trace and they are bottling for him, so basically the only difference will be on the label saying "Frankfort" or " Lawrenceburg." It would not , however surprize me if years from now a cult following of Lawrenceburg VanWinkles develop. That would be beyond a bourbon snob group.
    Stock up fast!

I think that is cutting it too fine.

I think if faced with a Lawrenceburg or Frankfort bottling of the same expression, the collector in me would grab the Lawrenceburg. That said if Frankfort is what they have, then that is fine too.

Advanced Taster

Of late I have just lurked and not posted much if at all , today a good friend gave me a bottle of VWFRR 13yr as a thank you ....this should be good as I have not try'd rye yet and look forward to the experiance ...
    Bill G,

"We may not be rich but we can always aford good Bourbon... "

Connoisseur

...this should be good as I have not try'd rye yet and look forward to the experiance ...
    You're in for a definite treat! And you started with what I consider to be the best!

Enjoy!

Advanced Taster

Very interesting ,,, I have try'd VWFRR , and true rye for the first time I can say right off that this will need more tasting .. One thing for sure this is not Bourbon which in itself is not a bad thing it's hints at bourbon but I find that it is missing something ,,, the Corn Mash. The parts that are left are very very good abit thinner in body , a sweet start followed by a warm spice ..all in all very enjoyable.
    Bill G.

Enthusiast

All 13-year VWFR Rye bottles with a letter other than an "F" number on the label will be the same whiskey, whether it was bottled in Frankfort or Lawrenceburg.
    Any "F" label will be a little different rye from the past, and it is great! These bottles should start hitting the stores soon as we bottled 3 weeks ago.
    Julian

I saw some 'F' bottles on the shelf last week while in Kentucky (Bowling Green, specifically). First mention I'd seen of it. Thanks, Julian, for the info. I'll try one next time I see it. (I've already got several 'D' and 'E' bottles 'gestating'.)

Connoisseur

I just tasted some of this rye in Julian's office. I have to say that it is indeed an excelent rye. It is sweet on the mouth with a nice dry finish with just the right amount of wood.
    Mike Veach

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Mike, would this be the rye that I believe Julian said earlier on these boards was now 17 years old albeit the label still describes as 13 years old?

That rye is the one I understood was tanked and that will be rationed over the next few years.

Bottles I bought last year seemed to fit the bill of 17 year old stock, but I am unclear on the new release which Julian has said is a little different but still very good. Anyway that must be the one he said was tanked.

So, is the newbie likely all rye whiskey made at Glenmore/Medley, as the previous one was, but just more matured than the latter? Is that what makes it different? If not, what would it make it different from the previous one?

Chuck or Marvin, please jump in if more info is available from your perspectives, and, thanks all.

Gary

Connoisseur

Gary,

I believe Julian tanked all the remaining barrels that fit the taste profile. This is to be distributed over a thirteen year period. Hopefully some finds its way into Maryland. Some of my retail outlets say they haven't received any Van Winkle products since BT took over distribution. I have been stocking up on any VW that I see on the shelves. Even picked up a Hirsch Select Rye since it's from the same rye stock.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Thanks, and I too will purchase ORVW rye (any iteration) when I see it. This is not too often since Julian's rye has not appeared in Ontario to date. Some of his other products have, and I always pick them up. I always wondered whether the Ontario Liquor Control Board might be disinclined to approve a foreign rye whiskey for sale here. Canada is known internationally for, and consequently proud of, its rye whisky. Does the LCBO want to put the focus on foreign rye, small a category as it is...? Yet, Julian's rye is authentic rye - straight whiskey under U.S. definition. Canadian ryes, even if made from rye grain, are usually blended and are mostly high-proof spirits. The distinction may not be fully understood by the LCBO.. In any case, I think all products that can legally be sold as rye in Canada or the U.S. should be made available here, the more the better. Choice tends to expand interest in the category as a whole.

I hope the LCBO will see that Julian's rye deserves a place on its shelves - assuming there is enough to go around, that is. After all, it is a most authentic representation of the rye whiskey style. We need to see the "Pappy" of rye whiskey here and who knows, maybe its appearance would encourage Canadian whisky distillers to offer in their range a genuine (historical) rye whisky. I am not knocking the best of the Canadian ryes, I enjoy some of them. But I'd like to see on Canadian retail shelves the "flavouring whisky" I read about in consumer whisky books. I believe it to be the same thing essentially as U.S. straight rye whiskey. To date, Lot 40 has been released, a pot distillate to boot. I understand it is one of the flavouring whiskies made by Hiram Walker to stiffen its rye blends. Yet Lot 40 is hard to find today, it may in fact have been delisted by the LCBO. Distillers should not be discouraged by what I assume were its tepid sales. They should release other flavouring whiskies especially, I suggest, ones aged in new charred barrels (Lot 40 was not, I believe). There may (must?) be a range of these in our distilleries: some aged in new charred wood, some not, some mingled, some not, malted vs. unmalted versions, 100% rye vs. mixed mash versions, different ages, etc. Canadian distillers are not the least reticent of the world fraternity of whisky makers, and it would be nice to know why the flavouring whiskies are not sold uncut in Canada today.

Anyway, a long digression. I commend Julian for his resolve to find and sell the genuine article.

Gary