Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hello All! Newbie Here!

Hello all! I'm new to this board. I found your site via the scotch news group. Hope you don't mind a newbie to whisky/whiskey and bourbon with lots of questions! lol.

Anyway, after about twelve different bottles of single malt scotch, and a bottle of Jameson Irish whiskey, I decided to try bourbon. So yesterday I picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig 12.

And I have to say, it's very yummy. This tasted like the perfect after dinner/before you go to bed dram. Yummy!

One thing I noticed about all the scotch's I tried, they were all light. Very very light. Almost too light for me. I kept hoping I would find one that was as rich as jack Daniels and tasted better. I don't think I have found one yet that tasted better, except Highland Park, which I find outstanding. Maybe I shouldn't say no scotch tasted better than jack D. but none had the flavor I was looking for.

But that Elijah Craig was perfect. I don't know, maybe because I'm an American my makeup is automatically geared more towards American whiskey (bourbon/Canadian) than the scotches. I guess you call the scotch's light taste "peaty" and the U.S. whiskeys "sweet". Maybe I like the sweet taste because all the diet coke I drink.

So, here I am, drinking a dram of Elijah Craig. And I'm looking forward to jumping into the world of American bourbon whiskey!

Advanced Taster

Re: Hello All! Newbie Here!

Welcome, aboard!

As a S****h drinker, you would like EC 12 yo bourbon. It has a different, harsher, taste from many other bourbons. I, personally, don't like EC 12, but many other folks do like it.

You want to try many other bourbons, to get a feel for the variety and, maybe you will find others to your liking!

One thing to keep in mind, what you like other people will not... conversely, what you may not like, other bourbon drinkers may praise! Don't ever get offended. We are all here to learn and I have been swayed to the dark side on a number of occasions.

Again, welcome!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

You're off to a good start, in your choice of bourbons, your analysis of what you have experienced so far, and your choice of this forum. Welcome.

Another thing nice about this Elijah Craig 12 - it was only $12.00 A 12 year old bottle of scotch would cost me $30-$40 dollars.

One thing I noticed about the scotch's, they were light on the throat but hard on the stomach. If I drink more than one dram then it will upset my stomach. Three drams and my head is in a paper bag. Jack Daniels and this Elijah Craig are different. It seems much much easier on my stomach, plus providing the taste I want. I know I could drink a lot of jack and not get sick (I don't do that anymore). I wonder if that's because it and bourbon are made from 51%+ corn? I don't know what it is about scotch, but it is hard on my stomach. Bourbon seems so much softer.

Enthusiast

Welcome

EC12YO is great, to me. Try as many as you can you will find several you like.

Guru

Welcome scotchy, but be careful. When the Bourbon Bug bites, as it did me, you may find that what started as a tasting experiment goes to hobby and then to obsession. But what a tasty obsession it is!

Connoisseur

Let me add my welcome to SB.com! With EC12 you've taken the plunge into bourbons with one of my personal favorites. And just like you said, it's a bargain!

EC12 gets mixed reviews around here...it's what I call a "love it or hate it" bourbon. If you want to explore more of the bourbon spectrum, for your next tasting you might try a bourbon with a bit more finesse: something small batch or single-barrel perhaps.

Anyway, welcome again, and enjoy!

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

I, too, was introduced to the emerging bourbon renaissance through Heaven Hill's wonderful Elijah Craig 12 yo. It's not for everyone, but it is for me!

Welcome to this community of bourbon fans. We look forward to your reports on your trip through bourbonia. Enjoy the journey.

Yea, whisky is addicting. Or maybe I should say whisky buying is addicting. Right now I want to get all the high rated ones in the whisky book I have - Jim Murray's Whiskey Bible 2004.

I just picked up a bottle of Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve 10 year old. This stuff is 101 proof. I have never had something this strong. The strongest I have had is 47% Should I water this 101 proof bourbon down or something? I usually drink two to four ounces at night. Should I reduce this to one ounce or something?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

It's always acceptable to dilute. Whatever suits your tastebuds. Room temperature water is preferred but plenty of us here have been known to drop in one cube of ice and nobody has been arrested for it yet. I think anything above 100 proof should be diluted for drinking and I can certainly understand someone wanting to dilute even at 100-101 proof.

On the other hand, 101 proof is 50.5% alcohol, not much different from the 47% you say you've already had. The intensity of flavor in bourbon, especially when compared to scotch, isn't a matter of alcohol proof, it's the effect of the new barrels mostly. It's just a lot more flavor. Still, a little water will tame that and expose some of the more subtle flavors.

No offense intended to anyone, but I always hear a note of macho posturing whenever someone insists that whiskey must always be drunk neat. Diluting your whiskey does not place your manhood at risk.