Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Rogue XS Imperial Stout

This is an age-old practice as well in Canada's Newfoundland. Famously in Canada, the resultant potion was called "screech" which maybe says it all. While screech could and has been made from Canadian rye whisky barrels, traditionally it was made by rinsing warm water in ex-rum barrels. Since rum is the classic Maritime Provinces spirit, it seems the most satisfying form of screech. A commercial version, based on good rum, is sold in Newfoundland, Ontario and other Provinces.

Administrator in exile

Rouge Chocolate Stout

Mark, I had forgot that you posted this, but I have had a few of their chocolate stouts and I love them I usually have one for "dessert" after dinner. I also think the imperial stout has a good dose of "chocolate" to it, but that comes strictly from the chocolate malt, whereas the chocolate stout actually has cocoa powder added to it

Administrator in exile

The word "imperial" in front of any beer denotes a higher than usual alcohol content, though I don't believe there are any steadfast rules for applying the term. A few weeks ago I had a 22oz Rouge Imperial IPA. That was one fantastic beer, but my head was really spinning at the end

Guru

I've got one of the 22oz. Half E Weizen's... I can't wait to try that. After trying Saranac Hefeweizen, Saranac Belgian Ale, Brooklyn Breweries Hefeweizen and Blue Moon Belgian Ale it seems I have a love for wheat beers. I can do w/o all the yeast on the bottom from the unfiltering, but man are they tasty!

Guru

Re: Rouge Chocolate Stout

whereas the chocolate stout actually has cocoa powder added to it
    Now I HAVE to find Rogue's Chocolate Stout... I got 7 bottles of Rogue but I don't remember seeing the chocolate stout there. Maybe it was in a 22oz bottle and I really wasn't looking at those much. The one's I got are: XS Imperial Stout, Dead Guy Ale, Half E Weizen, XS Old Crustacean Barleywine, Younger's Special Bitter, Honey Cream Ale and Mocha Porter. I'll let you know what I think of each one as I try them Jeff.

Enthusiast

Re: Rogue

Jeff, it cracked me up when I saw Rouge. I've been to the ROGUE brewery several times and it's got be one of the best places to spend an afternoon. Spigots of all their beers popping out of the wall . Several years ago I visited when the staff were in a good mood you could hang around and sample all day, no charge. Hmmmm.

For all you beer lovers, you may find this site of interest.

Guru

Re: Rogue Dead Guy Ale

Continuing the 'Rogue Saga', tonight we tried the bottle of Dead Guy Ale. This bear has a nice dark amber honey type color to it. Very pleasant aroma, different than I am accustomed to, but that is comparing it to pilsners... It has a nice thick feel in the mouth, but not thick like the imperial stout, a 'nice' thick to me at least; I'd have to put it off to the malt, so is using the term 'Malty' ok to describe it? It's got a little bitterness to it, but enough to make even this non hophead drink another one down the road. The finish is nice and long, very well rounded... Overall, it's a good beer and I would probably get it again, but not before some of my 'favorites'. There were aspects I liked about it, but when it came down to the actual taste, I'd give it a 6/10. Please take my tasting as a grain of salt since I am still getting into the beer thing, but I like Rogues lineup and figure let's keep Jeff's thread open to discussion. Here's to you all!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guru

Re: Rogue Oregon Golden Ale

This beer has a very nice aroma, almost fruity to me. It pours to a little more hazy golden color than I thought it would, but that really doesn't matter I guess. I was thinking it would be a bit more 'transparent' thats all. Their website says that this is the beer that started it all for them, and I can kind of see that. It is a nice beer for me, very well rounded. I get a bit of everything in it; A little bit of sweetness and I mean a bit, some bitterness or hoppiness but enough that I like it (I guess I'm learning to appreciate a tad bit of bitterness), and a nice thick feel in the mouth. I have noticed that Rogue beers tend to be 'thicker' or maltier than other beers I have tried up to this point and I like it. Overall a nice beer and one I would buy again from Rogue... I must say out of the 3 Rogue's I have had so far, this is my favorite.

Administrator in exile

Re: Rouge Oregon Golden Ale

I have been meaning to pick up a couple of these for a while. Based on your impressions I think I will

Guru

Re: Rogue Honey Cream Ale

I went into this thinking it would be sweet from the honey and duh!, thought I would taste honey... Well, there was not much honey or sweetness going on in it; A little sweetness does show but not an 'in your face' sweetness that I have gotten in some other beers. Now, I am not saying it was a bad brew; it just was not what I thought it was going to be. It poured a dark yellow/orange color, and if you can see in my pic, had some 'slush' under the head because I kept it in the freezer just a 'little' too long. The thing that surprised me, only because I was not expecting it in a honey cream ale, was bitterness that I am finding in a lot of these microbrews... I guess I drank Bud for too damn long. I am learning to appreciate some bitterness though and after getting over the initial shock, I found it to be a rather nice beer for me. The bitterness was surrounded nicely by a 'dry' taste and a wee bit of sweetness made everything come together in the end. I don't know what it is, but I keep wanting to try more and more Rogue beers. Maybe its because they have SO many to try and so far, each has been very unique in their own way. I just hope that Rogue and my local distributor get in touch after me sending both an email... I've had to have Bob pick these all up for me where he lives! Thanks Bob!