Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: Rouge Honey Cream Ale

You are welcome Mark! I haven't had that brew myself, but maybe all of the honey wound up in the slush!

Bob

Guru

Re: Rogue Mocha Porter

Pours very dark with a rather thick tan colored head. Rogue's website says "Dedicated to the chocolate lover in each of us." Well, I like chocolate and I didn't really detect any in this brew. It was much more bitter than I expected. After the bitterness died down it finished with a nice black coffee/espresso taste. It had a nice thick/rich mouth feel which I enjoy. Also, there was some sediment left on the bottom of the glass. Overall, this porter is not as good as others I have had in the past. For those though who like hoppier brews and enjoy porters, by all means give this Rogue a try... I am sure you will enjoy it more than I did.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Good notes. Personally, I find many modern porters are too strong in flavor. I tend to prefer, for "drinkability" (famous A-B preoccupation, but not without reason..) porters made by old-established breweries. One example is Yeungling Porter from Pennsylvania. It is available in many of the larger liquor and beer outlets (the "warehouse" style outlets) on the East Coast. Also, Stegmaier Porter made in the same State. Anchor Porter, made for 30 years by Anchor Brewery in San Francisco, is also very good as is Sierra Nevada's Porter. Sam Adam's Honey Porter is pretty good too. There are hundreds of Porters now in the U.S., most made by microbreweries or brewpubs. Most don't get the balance quite right (for my taste) but the ones I mentioned are among my favorites.

Gary

Enthusiast

Gary,

Yeungling Porter is one of my favorite porters, and its reasonably priced to boot!

Bob

Guru

Thanks Gary, I'm glad to know I was not alone with this one. You named Yeungling Porter which I had the chance to try and my father in laws some months back. As I remember it was not overpowering at all and a perfect example of a great porter. I have not seen the Sam Adams Honey Porter as of yet, but I'll be sure to try it when I do.

On hand waiting to try, I have 2 Anchor Steam Porters as well as 2 Sierra Nevada Porters. I'll let ya' know what I think of them once I open them up.

Administrator in exile

The Sierra Nevada porter is on of my favorite beers, not too heavy, not too light. Try their stout as well if you haven't already

Guru

I've got 2 each of Sierra Nevada's Wheat, Porter and Stout. Sounds like they were all worthwhile buys since many people on here whose opinions on beer I value rated them as good. I can't wait to try them all!

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

These are fine beers. Sierra Nevada was one of the first micros (in the modern era), dating from the early 1980's. It has lasted the course (and then some) because its beers are tops.

Gary

Guru

Re: Rogue American Amber Ale

This was one of the many brews that me and Bob got to try this weekend. I think this beer was a bit different than both of us had expected it to be by the look on our faces upon first sip. I found it to have a little bit of a toasted or roasted flavor with a bit of bitterness on the finsih, but enough that I really liked it. Bob said he didn't get much of the bitterness like I did but he is a hop head! So I guess for those who don't much care for a lot of hops this one should satisfy. I don't think this one is made in 12oz bottles, so if you look for it, look for the 22oz big boy bottles.

Guru

Re: Rogue Morimoto Hazelnut Ale

This beer poured a dark brown color with a thick tan colored head. You would think there would be more hazelnut smell in the nose, but that's not so. The aroma was actually the lowest 'scoring' attribute in my personal rating scale, but not because it smelt bad; I personally did not pick up any particular aroma’s that jumped out at me. Now for the taste and boy was it great. Initially it is a bit nutty and rich with the smallest bit of sweetness. But this quickly fades nicely to a robust chocolate/coffee aftertaste. This beer is a very smooth drinker and I can really see this one complementing a meal, particularly a big juicy steak for some reason. If you see it and want to try a Rogue brew (and like Brown Ales) give this one a shot and let me know what you think!