Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Guru

Michter\'s US1 Unbleded American Whiskey Batch# 3E1

I received a new bottle and thought I would share a picture of it with you all. I've not heard much about it, probably because it's not a bourbon, but an Unblended American Whiskey as the label says. The label is near identical to the 10 year Michter's Single Barrel Bourbon (black label) and Rye (green label) labels, this one being blue. Inside the hangtag on one side is what is written on the back of the bottle, see photo below. The other side of the hangtag says "The Michter's legacy traces back to America's first distilling Company established in 1753. Over the years Michter's has earned praise from whiskey lovers as well as acclaim from writers for its exceptional small production American Whiskies, Ryes, and Bourbons. We hope that our Small Batch spirits show you that exceptional whiskey making in America is alive and well and as good as it gets! Thank you for trying our uniquely flavourful whiskeys. Enjoy!"

I must say that for being made in 'bourbon-soaked' white oak barrel's (I'm assuming used barrels) it is remarkebly dark in color, even at a relatively low proof of 83.4 When I can get a 2nd bottle, I'll let you all know impressions...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Michter\'s Small Batch US1 Batch# 3E1

Fascinating.

Could this be a recreation of Michter's Original Sour Mash Whiskey, ie. the Michter's proprietary product made until about 1980 which was a straight (certainly an unblended) whiskey but neither a bourbon nor a rye?

Gary

Guru

I love the way you composed that top photo. Simple but elegant.

Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

This non-bourbon is another Even Kulsveen mystery marketing whiskey. In July, 2002, he registered "Michter's American Whiskey Co." as one of the many assumed names of his "Kentucky Bourbon Distillers, Ltd."

Connoisseur

I tried Michter's bourbon at the Whiskey Expo in March. It was OK...good, but didn't blow me away. I haven't tried the unblended whiskey, but I have seen it on sale out here in California at Beverages n' More.

Connoisseur

Who's bottling this now?

While I am a marketing guy I must laugh at the marketing here: "In the Michter's tradition" -- that could likely be used by anybody but is also technically bullshit unless it is potstill bourbon

"bourbon soaked...barrels" translates used barrels like Early Times

Most of the drinking public has no clue what this really means.

Enjoy and let us know what this tastes like.

Connoisseur

Mark, all:

Check this short review in the Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/15/dining/15STUF.html

Omar

Guru

Omar, I don't have an account set up there with the times, what did it basically say?

Oh and has anyone seen the new Michter's US1 Rye anywhere online for ordering? I saw a pic of it in a magazine, it is the same as the bottle pic I posted but the label is green. We're not talking the old Michter's 10 year small batch straight rye but the new US1 version. Thanks all.

Update: Here is a pic of the Rye I am looking to see if anyone has seen around

You can see all 4 of the current 'Michter's' products here.

Connoisseur

It was a favorable review, called it smooth with a rich flavor -- nutty and buttery. It didn't go into ownership details, saying 'entrepreneurs' bought the brand and 'set it' up in B-town. (You know Who didn't get into the Times, as elusive as ever).

Good news for you guys in the NYC area, it's available in several shops -- 79 St. Wine & Spirits, Astor W&S, Winnfield-Flynn, about $30 for the 750 ml.

Omar

Guru

Really? Thanks for the shop locations Omar. Sounds like a favorable review. I'll definately call around now and see if I can get another one to do a tasting on in the upcoming days...

Stacy is on the case! She is seeing if one of those places that is right on her way home from the city has them. If so, I plan on opening a us1 american whiskey next week.