Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Taster

bourbon restaurant

mt sons tell me that there is a new restaurant in Washington DC that has more than 50 bourbons by the drink. If you go to www.bourbondc.com you can sign up for a newsletter of information and bourbon events

Apprentice

Re: bourbon restaurant

Sounds like my kinda place. Most restaurants look at you funny when you ask what types of bourbon they have. Most only have two or three.

Connoisseur

See this thread. I still haven't been there, but I'd definitely like to check it out sometime.

Guru

Most only have two or three.
    And of those 2 or 3, they 9 times out of 10 consider Jack Daniels bourbon...

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Well if you ever in Seattle are, be sure to stop by FX McCory's. I believe they have over 100 bourbons to select from. And if you are going there, give me a call!

Taster

How great bars look with all of the bottles and the many choices. We here in South Carolina are still stuck with the 'mini bottle law.' All beverage alcohol except for wine has to be poured from a mini bottle like they have on airlines. Each bottle is taxed,so the state has a good income stream. It means however that the selection of product is very limited. As far as bourbon is concerned,it is rare that you can get anything but Beam,and the Small Batch Collection,Wild Turkey, and Makers Mark. The legeslature is considering a bill that would change this. It would mean that retail stores could sell fifths,but that litre bottles could only be used in restaurants, and would be seperately taxed so the state could keep up the income stream.Regular taxes plus sales taxes are not enough for south carolina. The tax per mini bottle is .50. The tax on Litre bottles will be many dollars paid up front. How archiac our whole policy is with respect to alcohol. So if you want interesting or different bourbons you have to drink at home

Guru

That's not as odd as it might seem. Many states have very strict laws that restaurants can only buy from certain distributors, probably for the same reason you stated: to ensure that large taxes are always collected. So, if the retail price of a certain bottle is $25, the restaurants and bars probably have to pay more. And if the retail stores have it on sale for, say, $18, a restaurant absolutely cannot take advantage of the sale price.

Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

a restaurant absolutely cannot take advantage of the sale price.
    Can't, but do, which is why Sam's sells liters.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I really don't mind when restaurants list Jack among their 'bourbons.' What gets me is when they list everything brown. I've had them list Seagrams Seven and worse.

Connoisseur

Chuck,
    I really don't mind when restaurants list Jack among their 'bourbons.' What gets me is when they list everything brown. I've had them list Seagrams Seven and worse.
    Whoohoo...this is one of my pet peeves...
    I can almost understand it in restaurants and taverns outside Kentucky. But it just runs all over me when it happens right here in good ol' Bardstown. This is Kentucky for crikey sake!!! It's our patriotic duty to know the difference!
    And shoot, just last week the Courier Journal did it too. Now, that's wrong on several additional levels... .
    Bj