Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suntory Whisky

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Re: Suntory Whisky

I haven't bought any yet but it has been available for several years in Louisville.

Apprentice

I don't know if Suntory or any other maker has ever attempted to export it. Perhaps they do in Asia, but not in Europe or the USA.
    Dear Cowdery

Thatís not entirely correct. They do export their Whisky at least to Europe

As I understand it, the Japanese became very enamoured of scotch and following the usual pattern of Japanese industry, determined to make it domestically. Unfortunately, no matter what they tried they just couldn't get it right.
    Underestimating the Japanese ability to produce whisky is unfortunately only all too common. In my opinion some of the finest Single Malts are actually produced by Nikka. Yoichi as a 10 year old is a superb dram. Actually among the pride of my collection is a Yoichi 20 years old at 52%. Itís quite expensive so Iím saving it for that special moment. I'll atach a pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Suntory had a booth at WhiskeyFest in Chicago this spring. They clearly were attempting to exploit the success of "Lost in Translation" to introduce Suntory whiskey to the U.S. I tasted some and found it pleasant enough, but not something I would be likely to buy.

As I understand it, the Japanese eventually gave up trying to duplicate scotch and settled on creating their own distinctive style of malt whiskey.

Apprentice

While you might argue that the Japanese have their own distinctive single malt style, in my view comparing that to scotch makes more sense then discussing wether scotch is better than burboun or vise versa, since you can't compare apples and pears.
    Anyway it tastes great so what's the difference

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Right, the point should be is it good, is it enjoyable, is it interesting, does it give good value for the money, and not "how does it compare to scotch"?

Apprentice

Well as I said I haven't tried this bottle yet. I have had a 10 year old previosly, which undoubtedly belonged among the finest single malts I have had the privilege to own. As for value for money that is a tough one. When I see posts on this forum talking about say Bookerís being too expensive at around $50 the price here in Denmark is around $100. I tried to obtain a bottle of George T. and found one guy who was able to get me 2 bottles at $220 a piece. I managed to find it in Germany for a ďmeagerĒ $130 a bottle. So you see if I tell you that the price for this Yoichi is $230 a bottle Ė I managed to obtain it for $115 though. But compared to local prices for scotch of the same quality I think I have made a hell of a deal.

Apprentice

These are the Japanese whiskies I own and I have tried them all. The small bottle labeled Pure Malt "White" is, according to several retail shops, a vatting of Japanese whiskey from Nikka and Scotch whisky from Bowmore. Nikka owns some or all of Morrison Bowmore Group which owns Bowmore, Glen Garioch, and Auchentoshen distileries. Thus there are three different Pure Malt releases, White, Black and Red, of which I have tried the first two. I would recommend both, especially the White if you like a pepper/peat hit in your whisky( or if you like Bowmore). Both are well balanced and the Black is probably the better of the two, but I love Islay malts so my pick is the White.

The Single Cask marked "10 years old" is simply one of the best whiskies I have tasted.

The Single Cask 1989 is extremely smokey and does not have a lot of balance, but is still very good and would stand up to lots of single malts.

The 20 year old has bourbony notes and a whole lot of other things going on. Everyone I have poured it for has loved it (as do I) but it does not fall in to a catagory of scotch that I can think of, except to remind me a bit of a older Ben Nevis I once tried, but that was some time ago.

Attached Images Attached Images

Apprentice

Thatís a very fine collection of Japanese Whisky you got yourself there.

Guru

Very fine indeed, Thanks for sharing the pic Nokia. I like seeing various bottles from around the world.