Many times I have enjoyed a thick filet mignon accompanied with a Pappy 20yo. In fact, this is one of my favorite meals. I think to enjoy bourbon while dining you must match the bourbon to the food you are eating. A nice, well aged, full bodied, slightly oaky bourbon pairs well with most red meats. On the other hand, a nice spicy, slightly hot OGD pairs well with a plate of nachos or buffalo wings

Actually, bourbon is my drink of choice for really spicy foods. You scientists correct me if I'm wrong, but capsaicin, the chemical that gives peppers their heat, is soluble in alcohol, not water, and the higher the ABV of your drink, the quicker the sting subsides. I like drinking beer with spicy foods, but beer is mostly water. I remember one night after consuming some habanero chili I thought I was going to die till I took a half a shot of GTS and rinsed it around in my mouth . There was an initial sting from the addition of the bourbon, but in a few moments most of the heat from the chili had dissipated