Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Kentucky-only bourbons?

From purusing the SB.com archives I've come up with a good list of recommended liquor stores...but I'd like some advice on which bourbons to search for on my upcoming Kentucky trip.

I know I'll definitely be looking for Ridgewood Reserve 1792, OFBB F'03, along with the obvious lucky rarities (like Stagg).

Do you guys have any other recommendations for bourbons unique to Kentucky or that have limited distribution?

Guru

Re: Kentucky-only bourbons?

You may want to give a look around for Jefferson's. (I am not sure if it has made its way out of KY though) It sells for about $30 and is not too bad. Also, Kentucky Pride 10yo is not that bad for a decent price. (It is the bottle to the left of the JB White) W/o grabbing the bottle, I think even though it is labeled as 10 years old, most bottles are more like 12 yo. Sorry I couldn't be of more help right now Gary but I hope that's something else to consider... Whatever you grab I'm sure you will enjoy!

Enthusiast

You might have some trouble finding Stagg at any stores. Its been a while since I've seen any around.

My best advice is to just look around and if you see something you can't get where you live buy it.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

When in Kentucky, I never pass up the opportunity to buy some Very Old Barton, usually the bottled-in-bond. Ridgewood is from the same distillery.

You might also want to pick up a couple of Heaven Hill branded products, especially the ten-year-old.

Otherwise the advice "buy anything you can't find at home" is sound.

Enthusiast

More vicarious joy and envy here!

Our 2 cents would be that we don't recall ever coming back from KY without a Van Winkle product of some kind. If it's not available in DC or MD, ORVW 10 year is one of our favorites. Unfortunately, our most recent trip was three years ago, so we're relying on hazy memories regarding what's out there.

Also, FYI, in case you've missed it, I have seen Jefferson's in our local VA state store for about $30. I know you prefer to shop in MD and didn't know if it was available there or not.

Have fun!!

Taster

I'd go for buffalo trace,four roses,and dowling bib,

Connoisseur

Thanks for all the responses! That's pretty much my gameplan--I'm planning on picking up ones I'm sure I can't get at home. I just didn't want to pass up a gem I hadn't thought of. You guys have given me some more to look for!

Jefferson's has been in Tennessee (at around $23-$25) since last fall. I bought four bottles all with "Batch # 1, Bottle # --", numbered under 100 (the lowest was Bottle #44). I've also purchased one with a non-collectible number, currently on shelves, but haven't opened it yet.

Guru

So it has made its way out of KY, that's good! Give it a try Tim, considering you have that many bottles now, it's a decent bourbon.

Enthusiast

Collectible bottle numbers

Out of curiosity, are there numbers under which all bottlings are considered collectible, or are you referring specifically to this Jefferson bottling? I note that ours is Batch #2, bottle 1694. Sounds pretty "high number." It is also about 150ml short, which reduces collectibility, or so we hear!