Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Very Old Barton

Advanced Taster

Re: Very Old Barton

My definition of "smooth" is closer to yours. I am not looking for the same taste each time I drink bourbon. If I have to force down the bourbon then it isn't smooth.

Smooth, to me, is a bourbon that can be downed a sip at a time, each sip being better than the last, until the dram is gone and you want some more! It starts out with the first nosing, a bouquet of vanilla and fruit... almost syrupy... with just a hint of oak. By then, you are expecting the same flavor with the first taste! If the first taste meets with your expectations... WOW!!!!

That is my definition of smooth...

Enthusiast

You are correct on that one. I guess when all is said and done, that extra ingredient of the artistry of the distiller may be more important than anything. The whole transforms into more than the sum of the parts. Oak + wheat/rye + distiller's magic?

I will say that I concur with the above assessment of smoothness, too. I don't know if this means anything in the context of our discussion but I will say that, if pressed, I would call Very Special Old Fitzgerald the "smoothest" bourbon I have ever had, or, at least the bourbon with the best combination of smoothness AND complexity/flavor.

And despite all my rambling and theorizing, I'm still not sure what makes VOB and RR so different on the palate.

Guru

To me, smooth is simply the opposite of harsh. Basically, the absence of a hot sensation in the mouth or throat.

The smoothest bourbon I can think of, off the top of my head, is Blanton's.

Curiously, to me, one of the harsher bourbons (at least, among good bourbons) is Maker's Mark. Curious, because so many others are always citing MM for its smoothness.

On the other hand, one of my favorites is Elijah Craig 12-yr, which is not exactly harsh, but it certainly isn't smooth. It has a peculiar type of fireiness that I particularly enjoy.

Tim

Re: Smoothness

Perhaps we should have an SB.com benchmark for smooth, just as Jeff is trying to determine on another thread a 50-point default bourbon by which to judge others.
    This comes to mind because, while I generally agree with Tim's description of smoothness as the opposite of harsh, I write this as I sip on Knob Creek, which I consider smooth though pretty 'hot', even at 'only' 100 proof.
    It seems each of us has his/her own definition of "smooth". Not surprising, perhaps, interesting certainly, but helpful?

Enthusiast

The smoothest bourbon I can think of, off the top of my head, is Blanton's.
    I won't take back my VSOF comment at this point, but I agree that Blanton's is pretty dang smooth, too. One exception - a little while back, Tina and I were at the Homestead, a hotel/resort in western VA. I went to the bar to get a drink, and Blanton's stood out, even though the choices were really fairly solid. I got a Blanton's on the rocks for us to share (thank goodness) and just about fainted when the bartender said, "That'll be $15.86." Took a little of the smoothness away. Still, we made sure we drained the glass, and I ate some of the ice, too.

Maybe this weekend we can compare Blanton's and VSOF to see if I have to retract.

I am part of the mass that feels MM is smooth.

Connoisseur

We only have the 86 proof here in NY so I'd like to try the others. I'd probably go for the higher proof one.

Curiouser and curiouser! Not only have I not ever seen a VO Barton 100 (or BIB) in any store around here, I've never seen an 86-proof, which y'all keep mentioning. I checked again at the store where I work -- we sell 80 proof and 90 proof (both 6 years old), but no 86.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Not so curious, really. The curious part is that in Louisville they sell all four. More typical would be one, or maybe a low proof plus the BIB. I know of no other brand that even offers four different proofs in what is otherwise the same product.