Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Novice

Bourbon for Thanksgiving dinner?

I've been too busy to think much about bourbon in the last few weeks, but with Turkey day coming up ... and that means people to drink with ... I've gone out and picked up a few nice bottles to sample and evaluate. One bottle of A.H. Hirsch 16, and a bottle of Old Fitzgerald "very special" 12 YO.
    My brother and I are going to run the gamut with my collection, including these new additions. I'll post our highly scientific findings afterwards ... provided I remember anything of course!

Happy Holidays!

Regards,

Jim Butler
    Straightbourbon.com Staff

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Bourbon for Thanksgiving dinner?

Jim lives! Good to see you back, boss.

I too just got a bottle of the Old Fitz 12 YO. Guess I'll have to cue it up and see how she runs. See you on the other side of the turkey!

Lew Bryson
    Hirsch Reserve 16 YO: Real Pennsylvania Bourbon

Novice

Ok Lew,
    I would have to say tha the A.H Hirsch 16 may be the best bourbon I've ever tasted. Smooth as glass, spreads out over your tongue like liquid velvet. I think I never really paid much attention to the flavor characteristics, as I was so taken by the nose and the texture; but I've still got about 7/8 of the bottle left ... there's plenty of time.
    The Old Fitz 12 is also quite excellent, and I'm sorry that I've not purchased some before this. Compared to the Hirsch, we detected an after note of harshness in the Old Fitz, but it has this beautiful floral note that I've never really tasted in a bourbon before.
    Both of these are "keepers" ... big time.
    Last night, my wife brought home some Godiva chocolate, which I consumed greedily with a snifter of the Hirsch. This is a combination I highly recommend!
    Stimulates the same part of your brain that sex does, without the associated social complexities. Think I'll do it again tonight ...

Regards,

Jim Butler
    Straightbourbon.com Staff

**DONOTDELETE**

"I would have to say tha the A.H Hirsch 16 may be the best bourbon I've ever tasted."
    MWAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
    You know, the Old Fitz 12 YO rocks. You just didn't appreciate it cuz you were 'whelmed by the Hirsch! <g>
    I'll proudly sign this one:

Lew Bryson
    Hirsch Reserve 16 YO: Real Pennsylvania Bourbon

Enthusiast

I'm bumping this because I was wondering if anyone can recommend a bourbon that would go well with a traditional Thanksgiving dinner (well, traditional in the northeast - not sure about the rest of the country). Turkey, cranberry jelly, biscuits, gravy, stuffing, potatoes, etc.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Applejack?

Gary

Connoisseur

Well, I plan on finishing the little bit of Wild Turkey 12 year that's left in a bottle I opened almost a year ago. Wild Turkey would seem to be consistent with a traditional thanksgiving dinner.
    Craig

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Not sure why I'm saying this, but my first thought was a rye or high rye bourbon. Now that I think about it, I think you want the spice and sharpness of rye, rather than the sweeter notes.

Not sure why I'm saying this, but my first thought was a rye or high rye bourbon.
    Me, too, Chuck. Bulleit popped into my head as I was reading the original post, and I don't even particularly care for it -- but it seemed the perfect match for pumpkin pie, which has a close association to traditional Thanksgiving for me. Van Winkle rye sounds tasty, as well.

Taster

Well, I plan on finishing the little bit of Wild Turkey 12 year that's left in a bottle I opened almost a year ago. Wild Turkey would seem to be consistent with a traditional thanksgiving dinner.
    Craig
    Agreed. What could be more traditional than Wild Turkey? Surely it's what the Pilgrims were drinking. Think my wife will mind if make my WT101 bottle the centerpiece of the table? "But honey, look at the label! It's a turkey! Look at the lovely autumnal color of the liquor! And besides, it's made with CORN!"