Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Lagavulin 16 years old

Hi Dave, be happy to bring some more to taste in September if I can make it (should be able to), it seems to be in regular supply here. It would surprise me that the well-stocked scotch-oriented U.S. outlets wouldn't have it, e.g. Sherry-Lehman or Beekman's in New York, Premier Liquors in Buffalo, N.Y., or Century Liquors in Rochester, N.Y. And of course Sam's in Chicago (amazing place), and Binnie's.

Gary

Bowman has a lesser label -- "McClelland's" -- which is sort of a 'starter' Scotch sampler, and inexpensive at around $20 a bottle for 10yos. I have the Islay, Highlands and Lowlands versions -- I especially like the Lowlands. Of course, while they are representative of each style, they have little of the complexity of the older, more marketed and more expensive labels. But they also have a less hefty price tag.

Enthusiast

Tim, that's good advice and a good point. No offence, but the McClelland range is like the Jim Beam White 4yr 80 proof version of bourbon. 'Nuf said.

Guru

I think I saw a bottle in my St Louis bourbon hunt a month or two ago. Would be happy to pick it up for someone and bring it in Sept. if it's still there.

Advanced Taster

Bowman has a lesser label -- "McClelland's" -- which is sort of a 'starter' Scotch sampler, and inexpensive at around $20 a bottle for 10yos.
    Actually, I think the McClelland malts are 5-year-old versions of Bowmore (Islay), Glen Garioch (Highland) and Auchentoshan (Lowland)...or so I've read. They certainly taste young.

SpeedyJohn