Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Jack Daniels

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Jack Daniel\'s and the Aldehydes

You're right Jeff, thanks, I was thinking of a straight corn that wasn't bonded, I think Mellow Corn comes in that format too and there are others. And as you said even at 4 years of age the reused barrels don't seem to give a lot to the whiskey..

Gary

Enthusiast
    What does the "Old No:7" statement on Jack Daniels label mean? What "No" is it?

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    I believe it stands for "No Drinking"

On a more serious note:
    No. stands for Number
    in other words what it says is "Old Number 7"
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by barturtle
    I believe it stands for "No Drinking"

On a more serious note:
    No. stands for Number
    in other words what it says is "Old Number 7"

Is "Old Number 8" also produced? 7,8,...? I'll buy a Jack Daniels to try and I want to be familiar with the label...What I don't know is the "7",actually.

Quote Originally Posted by mrt
    What does the "Old No:7" statement on Jack Daniels label mean? What "No" is it?
    One story is here:
    http://www.pre-pro.com/midacore/view...63824a3209c8a3

I've also heard a story that the brand was named for the "#7" store in which is was once distributed. By the way, the green-label Jack Daniel's also is designated #7.

As for Dickel #8, it was the closest number to JD's #7 when they decided to become a direct competitor in the Tennessee whiskey market that could not spark a trademark fight.
    None of the numbers has any apparent specific meaning as to age or place -- they are just marketing devices.
    Tim

Last year a biography of Jack Daniels was published, I have this somewhere in my library but cannot locate it at the moment. It claims that No. 7 was the number of the original distillery district where Jack Daniels' distillery was located. Then the Government consolidated the districts. Jack Daniels' whiskey was now being made in district 3 or 4 (I can't recall but will try to find the book). Daniels wanted still to associate his whiskey with district No. 7, probably because whiskey issuing from there had a certain reputation. I think (again I'll check for the book) it had to do with the fact that No. 7 distillers used the sour mash method. In some other districts the sweet mash method was used and the whiskey was not considered as good (probably because it was less consistent in taste). So Jack's idea was to put "Old No. 7" on the containers and invoicing. This did not break the law because he was simply telling people it was the same whiskey that used to be made in the original No. 7 district in Tennessee. Of all the stories I have read this seems the most plausible and we have it from a biographer who wrote a full-length book and evidently did much research into his subject.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 02-05-2006 at 12:09.

As for as I know, Gary (and that doesn't mean it's so), Tennessee isn't currently divided into distilling districts because there are only three active distilleries (legally registered ones, that is) -- Dickel in Tullahoma, Jack Daniel's in Lynchburg, and Prichard's (rum) in Winchester -- in the state. You can drive past all three in less than an hour.
    The cases of Jack Daniel's products we receive at the store carry the designation "DSP-TENN-4". We don't often (need to) buy Dickel products by the case, but I'll try to make a note of its markings next time we do.
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    I spent some time looking up the DSP for Dickel and it doesn't seem that they are bottling there, nor have they for a long time.

DSP bottling:
    IN-26
    KY-24
    IL-58
    MD-3
    CT-I-325

However I did find this that shows the DSP number:
    Dickel Sign.jpg
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Yes, I believe Dickel is currently trucked to Ontario and bottled in Canada. I do have Dickel listed as DSP-TENN-2 in my database, but I don't remember where the reference came from. That sign'll do. Thanks.
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 02-05-2006 at 17:31.
    Tim

I found the book, it is Peter Krass' Blood and Whiskey: Life and Times of Jack Daniel (John Wiley & Sons, 2004). On page 118 Krass explains that in the original government district 4 in Tennessee, the distillery was known as No. 7. Then the government merged district 4 into district 5 and in the new district the distillery was assigned no. 16 as its identification number. Jack Daniels distillery, then called "Daniel & Call", decided to put "Old No. 7" on their barrels and paperwork (and later, bottles). This was to remind customers of the origin and quality of their brand and that they were a sour mash distillery, not sweet mash. The label became famous and was a stroke of marketing genius beyond the hope of Daniel since the name Old No. 7 acquired mystique.

This is ironic to a degree since today I don't think Old No. 7, those words, carry the full connotation they once did. People know the name Jack Daniel world-wide and that assures the success and fame of the brand.

The book is excellent and recommended.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 02-05-2006 at 16:03.