Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

What\'s the Bourbon that got you into Bourbon?

As I sit here and review the posts and have just finished having a drink of my new favorite bourbon, EW 23 (I will be posting something about this soon just have to think about it a little and taste test some more), I began to think about what drink got me into liking bourbon and getting more interested in it. For me, my first bourbon was Makers Mark. I still enjoy it today, although I enjoy others more especially since I've grown to appreciate the intricacies of bourbon since then. But the Makers Mark was the bourbon that hooked me on the adventure and now quest to find the hard to find bourbons we all talk about. So, I ask you to think about this and share what the bourbon was that got you hooked and let us know

Re: What\'s the Bourbon that got you into Bourbon?

Knob Creek. Strangely, I haven't liked any glass of it since the first nearly as much, but I still enjoy it. It got me started trying minis of everything I could find, and it wasn't too long before I found this place. Now, the collection keeps growing, and KC isn't even in the top half of my list... but without it I may not have tried anythign else at all.

Steve

Connoisseur

For me it was Jim Beam White.

My first adventure into premium bourbons was with Maker's Mark (I imagine you'll hear many similar stories!) Needless to say, it was all uphill from there!

Enthusiast

Weller Centenniel was the one that really turned me on to bourbon.

I didn't so much catch the bourbon bug from tasting, but conscious choice. I began working part-time in a liquor store about 18 months ago, and brought home several half-pints one evening (Old Charter 8 and 10, Old Forester, Evan Williams green and black, et al) and tasted them over the course of a few evenings, just to be able to converse with customers a bit more knowledgably. I guess W.L. Weller's Special Reserve 7yo was the first one that really caught my attention -- and it still remains one of my favorite flavor-to-value drinks. There is still a bunch of the harder-to-find bourbons -- though the selection here in Tennessee is better than many places, according to what I read here -- I haven't tried yet, but will eventually. It's not a bad hobby, I've discovered.

Guru

I would have to say that the first truly delicious bourbon I ever had was Wild Turkey 8-year old 101 proof, back in about 1968. A year or so later, I encountered Very Old Fitzgerald from Stitzel-Weller. A little later than that (say, 1970-1973), I often enjoyed Old Forester, Ancient Ancient Age 10-year old, and Henry McKenna.

So, I've been enjoying a wide variety of good (and sometimes not so good) bourbon for about 35 years.

Tim

Guru

I consider it to be one of my hobbies, too. And you're right, its not a bad hobby, at all.

Tim

Guru

To the point, what really made me go out and look for premium bottlings, Makers Mark. And it has been nothing but fun ever since!

Apprentice

It was Knob Creek for me, too. (Jim Beam white from my
    youth doesn't count).

A few years ago, I tried KC on a whim. I was a long-time
    Scotch drinker -- a bit bored with the current crop of
    malts, and annoyed with the ever increasing prices, I
    bought a bottle. It was something new, and the store was
    promoting it.

Glad I bought it.

Cheers,

-AJ

Advanced Taster

Jim Beam White in my youth also....then a long Scotch hiatus...with Old Forester bringing me back to bourbon and Woodford Reserve opening the window to the world of premiums.....last night I had Weller Centennial which I really like...Stagg, Van Winkle Rye, Hirsch16, EWSB's, AAA10yr,ER17,Rare Breed,Bookers,ETL,Blanton's, etc, etc...Saz is a great rye...so many great choices it would be very difficult to pick a favorite...