Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Need a suggestion

Hi everyone. I'm just beginning to enjoy bourbon. When I was younger I drank it with mixers, but now I'm interested in becoming more familiar with it. I haven't developed my pallet, and enjoy reading the "tastings" section. I'm surprised how good you all are.

I'm in the middle of Makers Mark and Woodford Reserve. I like WR much more than Makers. WR has a more lush, less alcoholic taste to me. What other bourbons would you suggest that are at this level or better quality? Thanks

Re: Need a suggestion

Boy, now you've gotten us started!
    Seriously, there are a whole lot of good bourbons with which you get flavor before (or, at least, along with) the alcohol. I note you're not too far from Virginia, which means you can get ahold of Ancient Ancient Age 10yo (AAA 10). On the light side, but lots of flavor, little burn. Weller 12 is another. Don't give up on "wheaties" because of Maker's Mark -- the Weller is one, the Van Winkles others. Old Forester is another easy-drinking 'starter' (and, for many of us, 'continuer') bourbon. With the exception of the Van Winkles, all of the above can be labeled 'bargains': as easy on the wallet as on the palate.

Advanced Taster

Don't give up on "wheaties"

I've seen where you refer to bourbons by grains? Can you go into more detail there? Wheatie means wheat is the second most used grain in the mash and it's smoother then other grains?

Guru

Bourbon is made from 3 main ingredients: corn, rye and barley malt. Some distillers/bourbon mashes use wheat instead of rye like Makers Mark. Rye produces a more spicy or hot bourbon whereas wheat tends to yield a more sweet (not sugary sweet) flavor... Search around on here and you can find out more info about the percentages etc that are in various mashbills and what is required by law...

Yeah, what Mark said.

Advanced Taster

Thanks...I think next up will be Basil Hayden's or Bookers. What do folks think of rye whisky?

Anyone know what the red (1) on the replys column on the topics page is for?

The red numeral tells you how many new posts have been added since you last accessed the page. It keeps you from having to browse through every thread to find new posts.

Guru

I think next up will be Basil Hayden's or Bookers.
    I'd stay away from Basil Haydens... Even though you are beginning, I'd get the Bookers and cut it or throw in some ice and let it sit. It's a much more rounded bourbon. But if you want something similiar, and much cheaper, get Jim Beam Black; It's not bad at all.

Advanced Taster

Why should I stay away from Basil's? Too spicy from the rye? What do you think of rye whisky?

Guru

You'll get disagreement here, but I find BH way too light and thin for the money. It costs alot for an 80 proof watery bourbon with little flavor. Some have said that newer bottles were better, but still, its alot of money for what it is in my opinion... There are much better buys out there that cost the same if not less.

I like Rye whiskey, but when I do have it, I tend to always go with Sazerac 18 yo or Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye 13yo. I've had the Jim Beam Rye and not cared much for it. The WT RYE is not bad for the price, but I guess I'm spoiled by the previous 2 I mentioned. Michter's has a new Four year old rye that is out. It was good but I really want to try the 10 year old version. I've been meaning to write some notes on the most recent release of Sazerac for some time now, maybe this weekend. Keep an eye out for it.