Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flask advice

Novice

Flask advice

I would really appreciate some advice....
    I'm considering buying a hipflask for an overnight hike next month. I used to have a stainless steel one, but it was misplaced a few weeks ago.
    Now I have the option of buying one of three - either stainless steel, pewter or titanium.
    I enjoy drinking quite a wide range of whiskies (from Laphroaig to Eagle Rare to Yoichi) so I would rather buy something that won't impart any flavour to the beverage. Also, glass is a no-no because I'm pretty clumsy on the trail,
    Thanking you in advance,
    WM

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Re: Flask advice

Here is a post about flasks This forum has alot of great information that is available to all registered users. Click on the "Search" feature at the top of this page...type "flask"...all forums...from all dates... The list of posts that appear should answer alot of your questions.

Bettye Jo

Taster

I do not think that pewter is allowed in this country anymore.There is a lead hazard involved. I have a ss flask, and I just don't like it. All bourbons taste the same. I don't know if it has to do with the material, or some psychological factor such as not bein able to see what you are drinking.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I love my flask, which is thick glass in a leather case. It seems pretty sturdy and I think I would have to be very unlucky to break it. It has a double cap, one that closes the flash and a second, that screws onto the first, which serves as a shot glass. Can't tell you where to get one like it, though, because my brother bought it at a little shop in Madrid. He gave it to me when I admired it, then regreted his generosity because he had a devil of a time replacing it with something similar. The one he finally found is almost the same and a little bigger, which suits him I'm sure.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Just curious what your brother likes to drink, Chuck.

Gary

Bourbon and beer. A fan of Old Fitz BIB, also Grand-Dad BIB.

Advanced Taster

Here's a link to a review of a flask designed with hikers/campers in mind: flask review
    I should point out that I haven't tested this flask myself. My apologies if the link fails; I'm not very skilled in the electronic arts.

I have no idea where to find a modern flask like this, but I have a couple of older bottles that I found on Ebay that are very similar. One is an old tin-type-label Four Roses pint bottle in brown glass, which has a metal screw-on closure underneath a metal, shot-glass overcap.
    The other is a 4/5-quart Old Charter 132-month-old bottle in the shape of binoculars, inside a leather, binoculars-style case with long shoulder strap. It has a plastic screw top an appropriate size and shape for use as a shot glass.
    While both are rather large as flasks, they are the general flask shape, and seemingly were designed for that type purpose.

That reminds me of another flask-like object in my possession that others may find interesting. It is a cane but the top screws off and inside are four capped test tubes, each of which will hold probably four or five ounces of liquid.

Enthusiast

Re: Flask advice - cane

That sounds nifty. Just out of curiosity, where did you get it?