Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Kentucky Bourbon Distillers, Ltd.

I was browsing this website; Kentucky Bourbon Distillers, Ltd.. This is the company owned by Evan Kulsveen. It has been discussed here before that all that goes on is bottling at this site. We also wondered where he gets his bulk whiskey.

On the Distillation tab of website, it states the bourbon is from a pot still. Is this just marketing? or does he get his whiskey from someone who still uses a potstill?

Guru

Re: Kentucky Bourbon Distillers, Ltd.

I'm drawing a blank but it does say that it is first distilled as most distilleries do in a column still and then redistilled in pot stills... So it's not like their first run distillate is from a pot still. I'm certain Chuck and others will have better info. Great website though, I never have seen it before.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Thanks for finding this, very interesting! It sounds like all this whiskey is made on-site, is that possible? E.g., the description of their still system, I can't see any reference to contracting production elsewhere. So many brands, but I can't recall seeing many of them on the shelves during my recent Sampler trip, Rowan Creek was there, maybe one or two others. Sounds like a concerted effort is being made to put many (all?) of these brands on the domestic market. Nice site with interesting information on Willett family history. By the way the Vintage Selection (bottles dated from '76 - '83) surely must have been made by the original Willett's because the site says the distillery (until the current generation took over) operated until the mid-80's.

Gary

Guru

The vintage series may only be available for export. At least that's the only place I have seen it available, overseas. Old Bardstown I remember seeing at Toddy's, actually, I think I bought a bottle of it there but that was back in 2002. Johnny Drum 15yo I have only seen available on internetwines.com, I know it has been around for a while now. The Rowans Creek and the other 3 in the SB Botique Collection are pretty readily found, especially at liquor barns there in KY.

If anyone has ever seen the Vintage series here in the US, mainly the 1976, please let us know. I would love to have a bottle of that year for particular reasons...

Connoisseur

Many thought that Heaven Hill supplied the whiskey. However the site shows a fermentation process. Is it possible that they contract the first distillation thereby avoiding the mashing,etc.
    The second distillation could be done on premises.

Connoisseur

I emailed the contact on the site inquiring about NY distribution possibilities for the other whiskeys outside the Small Batch Boutique collection which are already here. I'll keep you posted on any response I get. You are prolly right, though, in that the Vintage series is for export only. Just our luck, right?

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Good for them, all power to them, and I'm glad they did this (put up a web site), but there is nothing here (altough careful reading is required) to indicate anything has changed. KBD is still a bottler and marketer operating at the site of a defunct distillery.

In their distillation section, just substitute "Heaven Hill" (or anyone else who may be selling bulk whiskey to them) for "our" and everything is true, to the extent that Heaven Hill hangs a KBD dba on the wall when they are making whiskey for Even, the "our" is true too. In fact, everything they say is true. I'm not disputing anything, but if they were making any whiskey up there on Willett Hill, I'm sure one of our local spies (you know who you are) would have told us about it.

That Vintage Collection is very interesting. You would think it must be Willett whiskey. They did distill into the 80s, although there were some years in there when they were making GNS, not whiskey.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

But what about the special "bourbon" continuous still they refer to; can it be loaned by Heaven Hill yet different from HH's standard equipment? Is it not possible Mr. Kulsveen has been distilling on the former Willett's site, or at least doubling the whiskey the way Dave has suggested?

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

I'm sure one of our local spies (you know who you are) would have told us about it.

On the day last November Greg Kitzmiller and I stood in Heaven Hills parking lot after we looked at the new visitor center site and I pointed out the warehouses on Willetts hill and talked a bit about it. No smoke coming from there that day. BrendaJ 's son worked there for a time so she would know the most, Of course BettyeJo would see the site almost daily as well. Who has a pot still? Wth all the vodka being distilled in those maybe someone does a run now and then.
    At any rate it's as Chuck says. They are distilling more on the Website than on the Hill in Bardstown.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Here is what they actually say:

The first distilling is achieved by the use of a custom designed column still, made especially for the distilling of Bourbon.
    The still at Heaven Hill Bernheim is a "custom designed column still, made especially for the distilling of Bourbon." So is the still at Jim Beam Clermont, the still at Jim Beam Boston, the still at Barton, the still at Maker's Mark, the still at Wild Turkey ... you get the picture.