Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Tansy

Thanks Tim, all this gives much interesting detail: I knew tansy was an herb but who would have thought it has such a developed history? The reference to a camphor-like taste does not sound promising! Sounds like a whiskey julep made with tansy instead of mint may be an acquired taste; still, If I see some some in a gardening or herbalist store, I may try the cocktail, just to see what old Jack drank of an evening.

Gary

Connoisseur

Re: Price of Tequila

Yeah, oaking is always a touchy subject. I apologize for making such a broad statement. Taste is very subjective. Although many Mexicans believe that the delicate agave is overpowered by oak, there are also, I'm sure, folks who like the flavor that oak imparts. Same kinda oak arguments exist around the wine industry, too. I'm excited to see folks interested in other tequilas beyond Cuervo Gold whether blanco, reposado, or anejo.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I get a kick out of the fact that the Tequila section is starting to look like the back bar at the Star Wars saloon. Some crazy bottles there.

Guru

Re: Tansy

Thanks, Tim. I have probably got that growing in my back yard, but I'm not dying to find out.

Tim

Guru

After listening intently to the advice of the many tasters here I respect highly, I picked up a bottle of Herradura Reposado the other night. After a small sip I decided to taste it against the Gran Centennario I picked up in Mexico and have to say that the Gran Centennario made the Herradura seem watery to me. Many similarities but the GC just had a more intense flavor that was not the least objectionable.

Of course, feeling the "Laws of Tequila as Pertains to Me" kick in, I placed both on the shelf and backed away. Being at home alone does not negate Corellary 1,

Enthusiast

Interesting...

When I had a bottle of Gran Centenario a couple of years ago, I found IT watery compared to Cava Antigua or Don Fernando.

Query for all...

The state liquor store in my province is selling 3 Generations blanco (triple distilled). Can anyone give me a review/impressions of what it's like. It goes for the equivilant of $55 US and I'd rather not "just try it" without feedback. Any help here would be apprietiated.

Regards
    Frodo

Disciple

Thanks for the 100% Blue Agave tip. I have been wanting to get a good tequila, but didn't know what to buy. Now I know what to look for.
    Ed

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I'm a big fan of Herradura Reposado but I haven't tried the Gran Centennario or any of the others that were mentioned. There are so many tequilas when you go into a store now, and such a price range, and all the kooky bottles, that it is good to have recommendations from people who have actually tried and enjoyed certain products.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Tonight I had some tequila, neat. This may be only the second time I have ever drank tequila. It was a white liquor, can't recall the name, not pure agave, but good, soft and rich. Can't recall the name. The nose and flavour reminded me of the odor of marijuana at rock concerts (I say this as a life-long non-user of illegal drugs). I had only a little because I was unused to the taste. I could see this in one of the tequila cocktails (Sunrise, Margarita, etc.) but do people drink this straight?

Gary