Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Price of Tequila

I don't know if people drink what you had straight but I definitely would drink my Herradura Reposado no other way.

Guru

Reposados and Anejos yes, straight. A good Mezcal even straight. Any of the stuff that's not 100% blue agave and aged less than the length of time it takes to get to your liquor store, not unless I run out of mixers or clothes. (Search on Dane's Rule # 1 on drinking tequila)

Disciple

I didi get a 100% agave tequila the other day and am drinking it now. Wait, my glass is empty. Got to fix that. Ah that's better. I got the cheapest one that claimed to be 100% agave. Scopion silver. Not bad. Today I saw Herradura Reposado for not much more than I paid for the other. I will be buying that soon.
    Ed, who doesn't need tequila to lose his clothes. Just now the heat is off though...

Guru

I have very limited experience with tequila. At the suggestion of someone on his forum I bought a bottle of the Herradura Reposado last September while on a road trip to Houston (to adopt my dog Brewski from a refuge there).

I forget how much I paid, but I think it was nearly as much as Rock Hill Farms, Kentucky Spirit or Blanton's. I delayed opening it, waiting for a time when I wanted to treat myself to something special.

When that time came, I was disappointed. I expected the tequila flavor I had become accustomed to (in small doses via blends and margaritas) to be magnified several times. I hoped that the intensity would be on a par with bourbon. In fact I found it to be weak and unsatisfying.

I don't recommend it, but I lack the knowledge to suggest an alternative that might be more likely to appeal to a bourbon drinker.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Disciple

Thanks Dave,
    I will probably still buy it as a number of others here mention that they like it. We'll see if I like it or not. I've drunk quite a bit of the standard blends in the past. I don't expect a more intense flavor really, more of a purer flavor, better mouthfeel, that sort of thing. I certainly don't expect it to taste much like bourbon!
    Ed

Apprentice

I have been educating a coworker (who live in Boulder) on the finer points of real bourbon and he has reciprocated with an education on finer tequila. Try Espolon Silver. In my opinion, unaged (silver) tequilas are much better than aged ones (of course keeping in mind to buy 100% blue agave).

Side note. He "hated bourbon" until he actually tried some good bourbon. Now he enjoys it

Connoisseur

Last year in Las Vegas I picked up a couple bottles of Espolon Anejo. Just delicious!!! Highly recommended. (Naturally you can't find it in Ohio!)

Cheers,

Ken

Guru

My favorite is a mezcal called "Cusano Rojo". The guy in the Sam's club in Cancun referred to it as "Rat Poison". Be that as it may, this Gringo thinks the stuff is very good and has a butterscotchy aftertaste.
    Joe